Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Put Together a Beginner Crappie Fisherman Package

Post Thanks / Like

Default Put Together a Beginner Crappie Fisherman Package

Dear Fisherman,

I am a newbie, as stated before. If you had to pick say 2 rod and reel combos for a beginner Crappie fisherman, plus lures/bait, and type of line to use, what would it be? ( I am going to post the same thing on the bream board too, same question)

I will really appreciate you guys insight.

Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ouachitafisher
    Dear Fisherman,

I am a newbie, as stated before. If you had to pick say 2 rod and reel combos for a beginner Crappie fisherman, plus lures/bait, and type of line to use, what would it be? ( I am going to post the same thing on the bream board too, same question)

I will really appreciate you guys insight.

Justin

It really depends on how serious you want to get involved. (Money wise). You could start with a couple of the el' cheap o' crappie poles from Wall-Mart. 9.99 each, they're fine, and I have a few myself. However, I would go with 2 Wally Marshall 12' rods ($49.99) each at BPS, and pick up 2 cheap crappie baitcasting style reels. ($13.00) Plenty to get you started.

As far as bait. I Always fished with minnows as a kid, and I will continue to do so today. When you get bored with minnows, and crappie aren't biting them, Then work your way up to jigs, roadrunners, then custom tied jigs. Bait is always more of a personal preference, or what everybody else is using in one particular day.

Line. Lets get real here. Were catching very small fish, most of us will never see a 4lber, so keep your line test at a minimal (mainly for visibility underwater).

***Boats. You do not have to have a Ranger, Stratos, Skeeter style bass boat to catch fish either. My 14' jon has pulled in TONS of fish, and it's easier to take care of, not to meantion cheaper.

Feel free to ask questions pertaining to specific interests on this website. Nobody knows it all, but there are usually enough responses to make sense. Hey, we're all still learning.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been a caster not a troller, so I'd advise you to get a couple of light or UL spinning outfits and a good selection of jigs (marabou, tube, twister.) They're lots of good outfits out there, but I like Shimano reels (the Symetre is excellent.) Shimano also makes great rods, but so do Quantum (check their Xtralite series), St. Croix, Bass Pro and Cabelas.

For instruction, pick up a copy of "Charlie Brewer on Slider Fishin". It's available here:

http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/

Although Charlie focuses on bass, his "do nothing technique" is very applicable to crappie. You'll learn more from that book than from a stack of crappie magazines. Also, his weedless crappie slider is a great bait!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep it simple

I'm with Whalon. You could go get the best equipment money could buy and catch the same amount of fish that you would with the cheapest.
    It all depends on how you plan to fish. Different techniques call for different equipment and usually if you specialize in a technique you can spend some pretty serious money.

I would start with a simple 5 1/2 ft spincast combo. Something ultra-light to light. SPool it with 4 or 6 lb line. If there is a part of the equipment that you should not skimp on, its the line. Read on here what other people use. Buy the best you can afford. Does no good to have a great spincasting outfit and the best hand tied jigs in the world if your line is inferior.

As far as bait is concerned. Many use live bait, can't beat it because it is natural. As you read on here, you will notice again that different methods call for different baits and presentations. Many people get the same results but use totally different techniques and baits. Like many, you will drift towards a favorite method, bait, and presentation for the different seasons.

Lastly, have fun whatever you are fishing for. It isn't all about the catch, or how much you spend on a fishing trip of a life time. Stop and enjoy it, the memories are priceless and no $200.00 combo spooled with the most expensive line attached to the most elite of lures can take the place of the sheer passion of pursuit.

Search this board, everybody here has tons of knowledge!
    twister
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to a light spinning rod, I use a 7.5 foot Browning graphite fly rod with a Diawa A80 spincast reel on it. Both have 6lb. test monofiliment. I use the spinning rod for mostly 1/32 oz. jigs tipped with live minnows with or without a float. I use the monofiliment fly rod rig for flipping mini or micro jigs only around structure like bridge pilings, stumps, trees, docks, etc. A fly rod loaded with fly line and reel might not be a bad idea either at times when the Specks are shallower using a minnow type fly like a Clouser, Cypert's Minnow, Crappie Candy, or other small streamer fly.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

5' Ugly Stik Light Action rod--Shimano Spirex reel
    8' Wally Marshall Pro rod--Quantum HPL10 reel

Berkley Sensation 6lb line

Eagle Claw Mr Crappie hooks
    Thill 3/4" slip floats
    Arnold Speed Stops
    Clam shot sinkers

Blakemore Roadrunner heads white--Chartreuse 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz
    Crappie Thunder jig bodies in black/char and blue/white