Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some help Lake McClure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some help Lake McClure

I will be headed out there Saturday evening with a friend who has never Crappie fished before. He is a big time Hunter and trout fishes but has never seen a panfish before. I was thinking of lauching at Barrot Cove and fishing at night around the dock area with a light. I have only fished the lake a few times before for Trout from the shore and in a boat once. We will be getting there around dark and I will not have much time to search for a spot. I am not looking for any secrets just some ideas I have been down on my back for over 2 years and I have not been able to fish. So this will be my first time out in a long time and what better way to start than to hit the Crappie. I have a few good spots at Pedro but it is a long drive for me now so I do not want to go there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also need to know where I can get small minnows around the area either Saturday or Saturday night between 8-9 p.m.. Manteca,Modesto,Santa Nella area is where I would like to find Minnows. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bay Area, CA (In Collinsville, OK for 6 months)
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, PM me and we can exchange contact information. I go to McClure weekly and would love someone to fish with. I live in Modesto and I have a 2 man Pond Prowler trolling motor boat. I'm a transplant from Oklahoma (12 years ago) and am just now getting into California Crappie fishing. I've had mixed results but have had terrific spotted bass results. I'm busy the next 2 weekends but I could do night fishing and I may be able to fish one day next week as I'm off work all week. I was on McClure Saturday during the day. I could see Crappie fry in submerged brush. With the water temps in the low 70's at Horseshoe Bend, it's obvious that they have spawned and are in a post-span pattern.

As for minnows, Call Jerry, he's off Rancherita road (by Don Pedro Golf Course) between Hayward Rd and Merced Falls Road. He's a great guy and a crappie fisherman as well. Tell him Bill from Modesto sent ya. 209-852-9213. The minnows have been a bit large lately, but they have been very healthy and produced well when I found the Crappie.

-Bill