Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reel lites

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel lites

Question for anyone using reel lites. Are you hanging them off the side of the boat or floating them out a little. Also have you noticed a depth the light works better in different water claritys?
    I just got my light (714) and haven't got to try it out yet.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I started out floating them out some bit now I just hang them off the side of the boat. I find that lowering them down 5 ft. works the best for me. I cast my baits out just past the light ring.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

How about depth of the light compared to water clarity. Do you think it makes a difference? Thanks for the answers.

Post Thanks / Like

If you really wanna know pm bob #1 he will gove you his number he is the inventor, trust me he knows what he's talking about. He made them!

Post Thanks / Like

water depth or fishing depth mite be a better guage of how deep you want the light, apposed to clearity. i have hung it 10ft deep, while trout fishing, in 50FOW. i was targeting fish in the 20-25ft thermocline. most of the time im in 20FOW or less while crappie fishing, so ill only hang it 2ft down. targeting fish feeding just under the school of bait the light gathers. your 712, in clear water, will light up(allow you to see) the bottom in 15+FOW set at 2ft! you mite need to cast out to the edge of the plume to cash in on the crappie. in stained to muddy water the game will be played in much closer quarters.

tight lines to ya
    Last edited by river scum; 05-13-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use mine bank fishing. I am extremely impressed with them.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers everyone. Does anyone hang a minnow trap off the side of the boat while using the light to catch bait. I'm going to be trying these things on the weekend when I get a chance to get out.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkabina View Post
    Does anyone hang a minnow trap off the side of the boat while using the light to catch bait.
    Not usually ... but, that would depend on what kind of "minnows" the light draws. Normally, Shad & Silversides are the primary baitfish that are drawn to the light .... but Shad are there to feed on the plankton that the light draws, and the Silversides are there for the tiny bugs.

A dipnet or castnet would probably get you more Shad & Silversides, than a minnow trap would. But, those need to be used away from the area where you intend to set up & fish ... since they do cause a bit of commotion, & that might spook the fish for a little while (or totally).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I sure want one and would hang it off the side of my boat and plan using on off my Dock as well. Just need to let all my recent spending get passed a little. Then I will get one, maybe a couple!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!