Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the guides on forum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for the guides on forum

Been thinking on starting a part time guide service, as my work schedule is 3 on, 3 off, so 3 days out of the week I can fish. Questions on insurance, State license price would be negotiable or if its kids and one parent maybe just gas and bait money , there's 4 different lakes w/in 1.5 hrs, I take people from work fishing and just wondering about reimbursement. Is it worth the hassle
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good hobby lol

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Talltimber, I like to take people for fun and you can't beat the joy of taking a kid fishing. If you guide it will take all the fun out and you will be under stress to put them on fish. I would go with the help with gas and oil route. Just mu 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

One things for sure, guiding will teach you a whole lot more about Crappie fishing. You will need to know where and more importantly how to catch Crappie regardless the season, tempurature, current weather conditions, etc. Each client will have a different mission for booking you, however the three basic reasons are to learn technique, catch fish, and to mark locations. Some outputs from guiding, your the best source of the current fish status, pre-spawn, spawn, post spawn, etc. Fellow fisherman are always looking for current status updates, and they frequent sites like this for that info. The better your reports, the more likely you will book. Also work into shows, and club presentations about techniques. That will also get your name out there.

As for costs, you should be looking at a S-Corp and keep seperate books, and a seperate banking account. Unless you do this under the table. But under the table insurance could be a sticky situation. I highly recommend you stay away from an LLC, your still tied to teh business and personally resonsible, that means your family finances are open to lawsuits. With an S-Corp you can protect the family finances by seperating the finances and NEVER cross that line. Once you cross that line you open your family finances up, even years down the road. YOu dont list what state your in, so that will have an impact as well.

If your serious, find a GOOD Lawyer and a better accountant. They will be worth every dollar in the long run.

Costs to start a S-Corp- nothing through the Federal Government, however your local state, municipality may have costs. You mayl have legal requirements to fullfill, like taxes, unemployment, workers comp, etc. I highly recommend you find your local chapter of SCORE.
    Free Small Business Advice | How-to Resources | Tools | Templates | SCORE

Also cehck out the Fed's website.
    The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

There is a ton of information on "How to Start a Business". After all, guiding IS a small business.

Once you figure out the legal and economic situation you need to consider advertising. How are you going to promote your business?
    You wil need a business plan. Sure you could wing it for the rest of your life and addess each issue as it comes up, however, having a plan in place will help guide your decisions. IF you want to borrow money, you must have a business plan. I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance carrier asks for a copy as well. It shows them you are taking this seriously, and have thought out the details. Insurance is about risk, no plan is considered riskier.

I know I went on a little bit, but you need to stop and think about it. There are some serious ramifications involved, especially if someone gets hurt. You need to cover your butt in this lawsuit society.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

For example, before I started HOI Crappie Club I talked to an attorney and an accountant. To avoid liabiity the registration form is writen so HOI Crappie Club or any of its members have NO liability, you enter the tournament of your own free will and you are 100% respsonsible for everything that happens to you or damage you cause to others. We collect NO money for dues, or promotions, etc. 100% of the entrance fee is paid out every tournament. Becuase of those financial policies we are not required to fill a business status. If we collected dues, we would ahve to fill as a business.

Something I could easily get going, I know enough people to make it happen.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

X2. I have been considering guiding for about three years and I just think the liability and risk would take the fun out of my passion for fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hanr3: and the others thanks for the input, I talked to a couple people on insurance and wavers, having to keep track of things and filling out a monthly report for the state.
    I am thinking the liability and all the extra work would not be worth it. I will just continue to take people for fun and maybe a little gas money
    Thanks again for your input

Post Thanks / Like

I was a guide on Weiss & Neely Henry for 4 yrs. It was ok until my son got big enough to go (4 or 5 yrs old). I just couldn't leave him at home & take someone else fishing, so I gave it up. Now he is 15 & can out fish me (sometimes) and have not regretted it. Now I just take friends & enjoy fishing alot more. It is a whole lot like work when you guide but met some very nice people from all over the US.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I hired a guide in the Florida Keys it cost $500 per day with a two day minimum, but it was CRAZY FUNThumbs Up... Tarpon, Snook, Permit, Sharks we caught them all...... Funny enough, the whole time I kept thinking..... for $500 a day I could work 6 months and take the other half of the year off!!!!! I kept thinking I could do this!!!!! And then the guide told me that he had worked 77 days strait and wasn't sure when he was going to get a day off...... Changed my thinking in a hurrrrrry.... anyway Good Luck with your decision and good fishing!
    FISH ON......... inspired by river monsters around the globe.......

Post Thanks / Like

I have been guiding for the past 3 years. March and April are crazy! Unfortunately, most people only want to come then. They think I'm a liar when I tell them that I catch them good all 12 months. Can't really blame them for not wanting to come to Mississippi in June, July and August though, it does get nasty hot.

Even so, I make just enough to pay for my boat, gear, fuel and bait. I like to have all the best toys, letting other people pay for it is the only way I could swing that. If you make a profit crappie fishing, you are way ahead of the curve.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast