Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing 12 States in 6 weeks! Please Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing 12 States in 6 weeks! Please Help!

I wasnt going to post this but WRWEST encouraged me to post it here. Honestly, I have been a little standoffish about posting because of the attitude towards out of state fishermen in the South. But I need a little help. And I hope that I can prove that not all out of state fishermen are rude and inconsiderate.

Im leaving on the 10th of June for some real crappie fishing in Mississippi. I will be gone for 6 weeks and plan to fish in 12 states (I have refined it a little). Most of my time will be spent in Mississippi (Picayune/Slidell) and Texas (Dallas).

Im looking for a little help with information on where to fish on the route listed below. I will spend at least one full day and night in the following states.

Arizona - (Grand Canyon) on 40
    New Mexico - Accross 40
    Texas - (One Week) From Amarillo through Dallas to Longview.
    Louisiana - Shreveport to Slidell (through Lafayette)
    Mississippi - (Two to Three Weeks) Will be based out of Picayune.
    Alabama - Passing through to Pensacola and again to Nashville.
    Florida - Staying in Pensacola-Ft. Walton Beach.
    Tenesee - Staying a few days in Nashville.
    Kentucky - Passing through SW (Around Murray and Paducah)
    Illinois - From Metropolis to Mt Vernon and on to St. Louis.
    Missouri - St. Louis to Joplin.
    Oklahoma - Poteau/Wister (Near Ft. Smith Arkansas) to OKC/El Reno.
    Dallas - Back down to Dallas and will Retrace my steps back to California.

If you live in these areas and could help with information I would be grateful. Ideally Id like to fish with some of you if possible. I know not everyone will be available, but it would be nice to meet up with a few of you.

Im really looking forward to this trip! I have been on this route twice, but it has been over 20 years since the last time (I was 12). Now my oldest is 12 and I want him to experience what I did as a kid. I just wish the gas wasnt so expensive. LOL.

I will be posting many pics and updates of my trip along the way!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-23-2006 at 06:09 AM.
    Git Jiggy Wit It :D

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that sounds like fun as I hope you and your son have a blast... Be safe and keep us posted... CATCH SOME FISH...
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie fishing has slowed down somewhat here in Western Kentucky, but you might want to give it a shot on Ky or Barkley lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely hit Alan Henry (Lubbock) and Lavon (DFW) here in Texas. Here's the Texas Parks and Wildlife site for more info. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/

In Missouri, Truman, Stockton, Table Rock, LOZ, Smithville, Mark Twain http://www.mdc.mo.gov/
    Last edited by smedley; 05-23-2006 at 06:01 AM.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Old Hickory in Nashville does not have the biggest fish but it is a good crankbait trolling alke during the summer.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Will you have a boat?
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Post Thanks / Like

I will have access to a boat in Dallas and in Mississippi. Thanks for all of the info. Please keep it coming!

Post Thanks / Like

odatria.....I can give you a list of good lakes around the Shreveport area, we have many of them. The lakes I'll list are some of the best........

> Caddo Lake, just N.W. of Shreveport.

> Cypress/Black Bayou, North of Bossier.

> Grand Bayou, an hour South of Shreveport.

> Black Lake, 1 hour S. of Shreveport, just South of Coushatta.

>Toledo Bend, hwy 171 South, about an hour + or - to the North end, it's about 80 miles in length.

> Bistineau, 45 minutes east of Shreveport.

> Red River, goes right thru Shreveport.

> Caney Lake, 1 1/2 hour East of Shreveport, just East of Jonesboro.

> Lake Claiborne, 1 1/2 hour Northwest of Shreveport, East of Homer.

> Bayou D'Arbonne Lake, approx. 2 hours East Northeast of Shreveport at Farmerville.

This should keep you plenty busy while you're here. Not having fished these lakes yourself, it might be advisable to hire a guide for a half day if you can afford it. Wish you the best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

In Illinois off of 64 there are several good lake. Rend, Kinkaid, Crab Orchard, and many more. I have fished Rend and Kinkaid, but not this year. Sounds like a great trip.

KrappieKid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    Sounds like a trip of a lifetime Odatria. I-40 comes right through a bunch of good fishing territory. But since us Southerners are "standoffish", sorry that I can't share any good places with you. Getting a little tired of the Southern bashing thing that is going on in here. FATBOY
    Sorry Fatboy, you misread my post. I said "I" was standoffish. NOT Southerners. I LOVE Southerners! lol. I have found that there is no comparison to the polite nature of a Mississipian. That is why one of the goals of my trip is to find a piece of property and fulfil my lifelong dream of moving to Picayune.

With all due respect, If I was a "Southern Basher" I wouldnt have driven accross the country the day the Hurricane hit to help my friends in need.

Here is a pic of our truck loaded with 350 gallons of fuel (There is a 150 gallon tank at the tailgait and a 200 gallon "L" tank under the toolbox), Everything in between those tanks, on top of them, in the toolbox, and inside the truck, is for them. Propane, a BBQ grill, ice chests full of meat, tents, ammo, LOTS of food, hygene products etc... It was the least we could do for our friends.

Here is a pic of a couple of guys that we met in Jackson. We filled up their tank, and gave them $100 so they could make it to Dallas.

So, I assure you, I am ANYTHING but a Southern Basher!

I havent been on this forum long, but I havent read, or taken part in any Southern bashing. In fact, I was quite surprised to read the threads by Southerners regarding out of state fishermen. That was the reason I didnt want to post for help. I didnt want to offend anyone or stir the pot. But I know that cant be how all of you feel. I have always been greeted warmly by locals at fishing spots in Mississippi in the past. And I really want this trip to be the trip of a lifetime. One that my kids will always remember. So after discussing it with one of the other members, I decided to post for some help.

Hope that clears things up a bit. I dont blame you for not wanting to give up your secret spots. And Id never ask you to do so. Im just looking for a push in the right direction.

Best Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast