Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Find Redears

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to Find Redears

Hello, I am new to crappie.com & really enjoying it-- I'm learning a lot from you fine folks! I came here looking for info on how to catch redears / shellcrackers, & I can tell you have more goods on this subject than anyplace else I've seen. Thanks a bunch! A few years ago I got on a sauger kick while living in Clarksville, TN, & had a blast learning how to target that species on the Cumberland River . . . while hunting them, I heard about shellcrackers, & did catch a couple small ones on jigs, purely by accident. Now I'd like to focus on redears, & so far, they're skunking me!

I'm going to tell you what I know about the lake I'm fishing & maybe you can help me out. The MO Cons. Dept. does annual electrosurveys on this body of water, & since 1994 at least, has always reported many 10"-plus redears, plus a number of other species. Primary lake forage is gizzard shad. I have been pounding crappie & walleye for years with good success, but have yet to pull in a redear, & furthermore, I've looked through the many photos in the marina & haven't seen anyone with a single redear. I know that doesn't mean nobody's getting any . . . but I really do think they are being overlooked on this particular reservoir.

The lake is about 1000 acres, mostly rocky with very little brush or timber for structure, averages deep (35-50 ft), max depth 100 feet, has good clarity, & two long arms, which are deep until about halfway back. One arm ends in a long, tapering mud flat with stump fields, the other arm ends in a long, shallow (5-14 ft) mud & rock flat with acres of very thick weed growth. I don't know what kind of weeds they are . . . bright green with thin stems & asterisk-shaped leaf bunches, & pull up from the bottom easily. There are often detached clumps floating around. In the summer or in droughts you can see big towers of these weeds, and crappie can often be caught in their shade. There are also some weeds that grow in five ft deep or less with long thin leaves.

On one of the mainlake bluff points I have seen lots of small black snails in the summer, but the water is about 70 feet immediately offshore. These snails were only about 1/4 to maybe 3/8" long . . . & seem like they'd be hard to hook as bait . . . or wouldn't yield much meat for bait. Are these the right kind of snails? I have also seen quite a few empty mussel / clam shells on the shores of some of the smaller cuts.

There is one large point that is broad & round with a sharp drop to one side & some submerged bushes & trees along the drop, where I have often graphed what appeared to be crappie in the summer but never have hooked a thing, even when I pulled lots of crappie off similar structure elsewhere in the lake. These fish were suspended about 17-19 feet around the point. I'm curious as to how to catch redears in the heat of summer . . . if they are suspending, will they still fall for snail / clam meat, jigs & nibbles, or red wigglers? Anyone had luck with post-spawn shellcrackers, or caught them in the winter?

It's one of those times I'm wishing I had an underwater camera! My guess from what I've read on the various posts here is that I should focus my search on the weedy-ended cove. There are definitely tons of bluegills up in there . . . last week I caught some 8" bluegills on wigglers, but no redears; when I went on the bottom all I came up with were channel cat. There has been quite a bit of rain here over the last few weeks, & the lake has risen 8-10 feet as a result, but is still clear due to a long-running drought we've been having. The lake isn't at its high-water mark, but there are some shoreline terrestrial weeds flooded, & there is a good-sized slot between shore & the inside of the weedline. The water is still cool for late May, lots of crappie in close to shore, bass biting great in a few feet of water . . . so I am thinking
    that somewhere those redears are prime.

I usually make it out a couple times a week, & am itching, if you couldn't tell, to get some redears to tangle with . . . not looking for giants necessarily-- even one would get me amped at this point! Whatever advice you have for a novice will be greatly appreciated, & I will keep you posted as to how things progress.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

First, welcome to the boards. I'm sure more knowledgable people will be along to help out more than I can. To me it sounds like you are in the right places. You should do good fishing on the bottom or use a slip float to just keep the bait off the bottom. Sounds to me like the lake might be good for channel cats also and they are getting the bait before the redear. Around my area we catch redear using floats but catch more fishing on bottom. Good luck.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

redears are bottom feeders, look for beds of clams and or mussels in deeper water except during the spawn. it takes about 2 weeks to a month for them to move up spawn and then return to the mussel/shell beds. try drop shotting the off the mussul beds use cold worms "canadian night crawlers" and 1-2 crawfish if you can get them. hope this helps and good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I would fish a redworm on a splitshot rig on the gravel points and around those snails you found.

Post Thanks / Like

When looking for shellcrackers , about the most productive way of searching is to drag a couple worms across the bottoms in likely locales.You can do this by setting up a drift or reeling them across.We fished a bluegill rodeo here in sc last week and we found that by dragging worms across the bottom hehind the boat while we were casting for gills , we picked up a dozen or so shellies.Like stated before , they are bottom feeders and I catch them in slightly deeper water than gills.If I am catching gills against the bank , I will drop back and pull worms across the deeper water right out in front of it.It dosen't always pay off , but that is the best search pattern I've seen.Our lake isn't as deep as yours by a long shot.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

big"E" finds them just like i do...use 1/3 crawler on a hook, enough weight to just drag bottom. when i catch one, stop, anchor, fan cast area. in the clear water u fish don't be hesitant to try real deep water, i've caught them in clear mountain res. here 25 ft deep. we use a botom bouncer and small spinner harness like we use for walleye in deep water.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate your help. I went out yesterday afternoon . . . windy as heck, and variable as to direction, makes it real fun to stay on the spot! Anyway, I fished in the back of a long narrow cove around some weedbeds and caught a bunch of nice 'gills up to about 9" on pieces of wigglers tipped on microjigs, or just a small piece on a plain hook behind a split shot, but no redears, only cats a few feet deeper than the 'gills. Had a few white crappie on both rigs; one was nice, went a little over 12". Plenty more fish than I needed for a mess for the table The bottom was mud and gravel/chunk rock I think. I never fished in over 10' of water and was usually at about five-eight feet. The water is stained green, not as clear as usual, visibility maybe five feet. There's so much water to cover . . . I will find some other 'gill beds, and maybe try some deeper water next time.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

1morecast, I like youe user name. that me, one more, one more, one more cast, this is the one, one more. Any way thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing. I only catch redear when I am fishin for crappie and gills. Thanks everyone else for sharing your wisdom...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I caught one! It was only about 5 inches long, so I let it go, but it was definitely a redear It was in about 3 feet of water near where bluegills are on the beds in the back of a narrow, weedy-ended cove. Believe me, I have been working looking for the rascals; I've been trying shallow, deep, and in-between. I have used red wigglers, trout worms ala Wal-Mart, microjigs with nibbles and w/o, plastic tubes . . . caught the one today on a black, silver and chatreuse tube w/ a 1/32 oz head and about a 1/4 chunk of trout worm. Alas, didn't get any other redears, but I had a dozen gills between 6" and 8," a few black crappie, and some channel cats.

Thanks, wrwest, it is always one-more-cast with me-- before I know it an hour has gone by.
    Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago there I read a peice in the Georgia Outdoor News about how to locate Shellcrackers when they were bedding and sure enough it works. When they are bedding, and you are close, you can actually smell a strong fishy smell.

I use Louisiana pinks (I usually break them in half), hooked in the middle, fishing on a sandy bottom. Pound for pound they have to be the strongest fighting fish in the water. At least I haven't caught one that beats them YET!
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast