Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-viz line problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi-viz line problems.

After reading here at CDC about the benefits of Hi-viz line I finally got some 4 lb Mr. Crappie yellow line. I usually cast 1/16 oz jigs when the crappie are shallow. The line makes a world of difference in detecting bites. I am convinced about the usefulness of the product. BUT, the Mr. Crappie is constantly wrapped around my pole or around my reel or falling off the reel in a snarl. True it is cheap, about $7.00 for a half mile of line. Are the more expensive lines, Suffix or Vicious or hi-viz stren easier to use? They all advertise Limp, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

In a word...yes

Post Thanks / Like

X2

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use the (Flourescent green) Pline cxx x-tra strong monofilament line but you wont find it at Wally World though. I order mine from BPS online, and it cost $12.99 a 600 yrd roll. Easy to see line during the day, as it's high vis, a small diameter at 0.230 mm at 6 lb test. Strong stuff, small enough diameter, and easy to see all in one package. I've been using it for about 3 or 4 years now, and I love it. I also use the crystal clear in the same line at times when I dont want the hi vis.. Just works for me, so I stick with it. Shows up well for night fishing too.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatrap View Post
    After reading here at CDC about the benefits of Hi-viz line I finally got some 4 lb Mr. Crappie yellow line. I usually cast 1/16 oz jigs when the crappie are shallow. The line makes a world of difference in detecting bites. I am convinced about the usefulness of the product. BUT, the Mr. Crappie is constantly wrapped around my pole or around my reel or falling off the reel in a snarl. True it is cheap, about $7.00 for a half mile of line. Are the more expensive lines, Suffix or Vicious or hi-viz stren easier to use? They all advertise Limp, etc.
    That could be the result of incorrectly spooling the line on your reel, or your jig spinning during casting ... both of which will cause the line to twist & tangle. Another possibility is that you've spooled too much line onto your reel (which might account for the line jumping off in snarls/loops).

Try this .... take the outfit out into the yard & let out about 1/2 of the spool of line off your reel into the grass, as you walk around the yard. Close the bail & pinch the line, in front of the reel, between your finger & thumb ... then reel in the line with the rod tip down in the grass. Once you get the line to within 1/8" of the edge of your spool ... stop & cut off any remaining line.

You can also drag 1/3 - 1/2 of the line in the water, as you idle along in your boat ... then do the same proceedure. What you are in effect doing, is using the drag/friction of the grass or water to uncoil the line back into a straighter alignment & putting it back on the reel with tension. There isn't much tension retrieving a 1/16oz bait, so the line gets loosely wrapped around the reel spool. A spinning jig/bait is usually caused by a wrist snap overhand cast. You can diminish that happening, by slowing down your rod motion & making your cast in a more smooth motion.

Try one of these, before you give up on the line ... it may not be the fault of the line, at all.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

X2 on all everything crappiepappy said! Also on a spinning reel it's best to close the bail by hand and give the line a little tug before you start winding. This also stops the line from looping on the reel.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk19 View Post
    x2 on all everything crappiepappy said! Also on a spinning reel it's best to close the bail by hand and give the line a little tug before you start winding. This also stops the line from looping on the reel.
    x2
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

Its made in China, What did you expect. Try Vicious Hi-Viz

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I think that several of you have hit on parts of the problem. The comment about the Mr. Crappie being made in China hits home too since I am always hollering 'BUY AMERICAN". We must all do a better job of buying american. To kind of offer an excuse, there was no other 4 lb. hi-vis in Poplar Bluff when I got the wild hair. And I am impulsive as the dickens.

Post Thanks / Like

Pline, drive a little southeast fatrap you can get all you need
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast