Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kansas public fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kansas public fishing

Hey Craig Im new to this forum but my question is... My uncle recently leased his lake (3 miles from my house) to the state (this was my understanding of how this works) for public fishing. I am wondering then if the state keeps it stocked or will monitor the fish population or size? Last year I would consistently catch keeper crappie and 4 or 5 lb bass, this year it seems to be nothing but dinks. Dont know if its being over fished. Also does the state care about zebra mussels on these bodies of water? There is easy access off the side of the road to launch your boat. Just some concerns of mine about this kind of program. Thanks a lot!
    Clay

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    By Gods Grace serving Him daily.
    Mat 3:2 Repent ye: for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clwilki View Post
    Hey Craig Im new to this forum but my question is... My uncle recently leased his lake (3 miles from my house) to the state (this was my understanding of how this works) for public fishing. I am wondering then if the state keeps it stocked or will monitor the fish population or size? Last year I would consistently catch keeper crappie and 4 or 5 lb bass, this year it seems to be nothing but dinks. Dont know if its being over fished. Also does the state care about zebra mussels on these bodies of water? There is easy access off the side of the road to launch your boat. Just some concerns of mine about this kind of program. Thanks a lot!
    Clay
    Clay,

A F.I.S.H. program enrolled water is eligible to receive fish stockings from KDWPT if the lease agreement is for 5-years or longer. Biologists do monitor the fish populations in these enrolled waters. KDWPT is VERY concerned with the spread of zebra mussels, as well as other ANS species, and has several programs in place to fight the spread.