Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on community lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on community lakes

I know the conservation dept. has taken over several small lakes in s.e. kansas that were previously ran by cities were you had to purchase a permit. My question is, do you go to these and sample the fish population to check density and size and set the creel and size limits once you take them over? I know it seems most have been mismanaged for years and the fishing has suffered. Once the state has control over the lake are there stocking programs put in place and monitored? thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I just posted a similar post. I have close access to two lakes in the same situation. Interested in Craig's response as well.
    Clay

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    By Gods Grace serving Him daily.
    Mat 3:2 Repent ye: for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller View Post
    I know the conservation dept. has taken over several small lakes in s.e. kansas that were previously ran by cities were you had to purchase a permit. My question is, do you go to these and sample the fish population to check density and size and set the creel and size limits once you take them over? I know it seems most have been mismanaged for years and the fishing has suffered. Once the state has control over the lake are there stocking programs put in place and monitored? thank you

mkeller,

Yes. Lakes that are participating in the Community Fisheries Assistance Program (CFAP) are sampled by bios and any necessary fish stockings can be requested from and supplied by the State Hatchery System. Biologists work with the governing body in a cooperative effort to produce quality fishing. Length and creel limits are adjusted as needed. Some city/county entities have decided to continue to charge a separate local fishing fee. These cooperators do not receive payment for their participation, they are low priority for CFAP Grants, and are also low priority when it comes to fish sampling and fish stockings.

I hope this answers your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Craig, it is great to have someone like you to answer these questions, it is a real bonus.