Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Abu 4600C3 for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Abu 4600C3 for Crappie?

I bought a Abu 4600C3 for Bass fishing, but I am wondering could I use it for Crappie and Channel Catfish as well? And also what rod would be a good choice? I am looking at the St Croix Premier Series Rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two St. Croix Premier rods and love them.

Post Thanks / Like

you will never be able to cast lightweight jigs like 1/32 oz on the baitcaster. Small crankbaits yes but spinning tackle is much better suited for crappie fishing.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I thought.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CJ21 View Post
    I bought a Abu 4600C3 for Bass fishing, but I am wondering could I use it for Crappie and Channel Catfish as well? And also what rod would be a good choice? I am looking at the St Croix Premier Series Rods.
    Yes, you can use it for Crappie & Channel Catfish ... but, you will be limited to certain methods, when using it for Crappie. Casting with it is do-able ... but you'll have to have more than just a light weight jig on the line. A lot of members use baitcast reels for Crappie fishing ... but they're more than likely using one of the trolling methods, or tightline fishing.

What rod you get, will be determined by what methods you intend to use. It may also cause you to have to choose between the two species of fish, since what may be a good rod for Crappie may not be adequate for Cats. Line size used for these two fish could also be a problem, as they may be far apart in their pound test ratings ... and baitcasters don't come with interchangable spools. But, there may be a compromise, as far as line, if you consider using braid. Something in the 10/2 or 20/6 test ratings might cover both species.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking I am going to get a St Croix 7' Premier Med Action Rod!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CJ21 View Post
    I am thinking I am going to get a St Croix 7' Premier Med Action Rod!
    A 7' med action would be a good compromise for the two species you're targeting. IMHO

If you decide to go the "braid" route ... be sure the rod has ceramic insert guides, rather than metal ones. Not for the sake of not having the braid wear grooves in the metal guides, but rather to keep the braid from "singing" to you, while you're retrieving. The "noise" braid makes on metal guides can be a bit annoying. It was to me, anyway, which is why I only have one outfit with braid ... a 7' Bionic Blade rod & Shimano Spirex 2000 reel.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I like 7' rods because I am 6'1.