Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak Seats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Seats

I can see a need for a comfortable seat before long, what are you guys using? Any kind of a butt-pad to use that isn't too thick would be a good start. I'm not looking to spend half the cost of the Kayak for a seat. I generally like to spend a fair amount of time on the water, and will probably be hitting land on occasion to stretch the legs and back, but would like to be able to keep that to a minimum.

Anyone ever use something similar to these?
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&ci_sku=330350

Post Thanks / Like

Seats are one of those individual things, what works well for some, others absolutely hate. I like seats with back rest.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Ascend FS12 fishing Kayak that I purchased at Bass Pro. I chose this Yak for 2 reasons. One, I have no desire for a "Sit on" Yak and Two, because of the seat. The seat in a my Yak is identical to a folding lawn chair only the legs are only like an inch long. I have Bursitis in my right hip and sitting in certain positions for too long gets very uncomfortable. After being in my Yak for a little over 4 hours, I felt nothing. My Yak is a little on the heavy side (85lbs), but I am very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what seat, what you wear is even more important for long days in a seat or on a saddle. I learned this riding motorcycles. I've riden through the night four times covering in excess of 1000 miles each ride. Longest 1180 from the Mexican border home in 20 hrs. I can spend 6-8 hours in my kayak.

I never wear cotton underwear... never in the above mentioned situations, that is. Right now I'm fond of the REI nylon type underwear. No odor, no seams, very comfy for long seating times. No jeans or cotton shorts either. Try basketball type shorts you find at WallyWorld if you don't want to invest in nice outdoor nylon shorts.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should have mentioned the seat in the link would be used in addition to the backrest that came with my Kayak. I had a new kneeling pad, so I'll unwrap it and use it for my test run, it's about 3/4-1" thick.

Funny you mention clothes Gordon, I bought a couple pairs of sweat pants today and a cheap set of (knock-offs) Crocs strictly for fishing from the Kayak. I hardly wear shorts any more after losing another 20% or so of muscle in one of my legs.

Maybe I should nickname my Kayak......the "Kommando Kayak" Rofl

Post Thanks / Like

I have some "air bladder" type seat cushions that I have used at Nascar races (Bristol) and they have a twist type valve to let air in or out so you adjust the firmness of the cushion and basically change the seat you're sitting on. Got 'em wally world a few years ago in the hunting accessory area. don't know how they would stand up to alot of water, but since they are for being used in the woods, would assume they would survive for a while.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a gel pad for car seats bought it at wally world for like 20 bucks. works pretty so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried this in a set in and sot kayak. Comfy lawn chair, cut legs off to desired
    height and strap into place. My WS Ride is sporting one now. Will take a photo tomorrow
    and post. Both cases I cut the legs to give me some lift off the seat so the legs were
    more comfortable. The most comfy seat I've ever purchased. Less than 15.00 each.
    Arm rest is nice. I use a longer paddle than usual because of the added height. Kayak
    needs to be really stable for this to work. I stand in mine to fly fish on occassion and
    have never lost my balance (yet). I will throw looks out the window when it comes to
    my comfort. Other peoples opinions have no effect on my comfort. Comfort is everything.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I have an air bladder on my Revo that makes it very comfy for long periods of time. I like a higher back for extra support. On my older yaks, I had a GTS Elite Kayak Seat. Very nice. I have the fishing pack with it so I can put it on the wifes kayak and still fish.

If your seat is uncomfortable, your not going to want to use the yak, so for me comfort it very important.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll end-up buying an air "donut" for the time being, and when I head south for the winter, it'll be a good reason to stop by Academy (we don't have them here). I spent 2 hours one morning last fall walking around one in Tennessee.... thought I was in heaven.

I'll end-up buying a taller back seat since I'm tall, same reason I got a 96" paddle.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast