Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbie- Shore Fishing Marina Cove at Clinton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie- Shore Fishing Marina Cove at Clinton

Hello all! I have been out crappie fishing a time or two with family down on the lake of the ozarks, and this spring, I have caught the crappie bug!

I don't have a boat, and I usually have a four year old in tow, so steeper rocky shores are kind of out of the question, like those next to the marina ramp at Clinton. Any other suggestions on good spots would be welcome.

Last night, I went to marina cove and think I hit a hot spot right before dark. After trying several spots closer to the parking lot, I walked along the shore from the parking lot, and followed the shore as it curves north just past that floating feeder they have out there. About 100 feet down that bank, there is a large sycamore tree hangs over the water a bit.

I fished in the pool around that tree and pulled in 3 keepers in 15 min or so before it got too dark to continue. I was fishing with minnows on a jig head with a bobber in about 3 feet of water. Can't wait to get back out there and try again, but wanted to share my report for anybody else looking for a good shore spot.

On a side note, are there crappie in Lake Henry? I've been several times and haven't caught anything but bluegill and one sad trout.

Claire

Post Thanks / Like

Also might want to try the west side of that cove right below the back side of Lake Henry dam. You can park at lake Henry parking lot and walk west across the dam and follow the nice trail to the water.. Very easy to get to with no steep banks or trails. I think you must have to have a trout stamp to fish Lake Henry, check the postings to be sure. The west side of that cove has been very good at times especially out on the point. Also good fishing from the bank between Ramps 3 and 4, also very easy to get to.. Good fishing with your youngster!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input! I saw that trail last time I was at Lake Henry; I will definitely check it out next! Where are ramps 3 and 4? Are they the ones down at the end of the Clinton state park area near the mountain biking trails?

I may have been reading the regulations incorrectly, but I think it says if you are fishing outside of the trout season that ends April 15, you don't need the trout permit unless you are fishing the mined lands wildlife area, which is a year- round trout permit required.