Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: My Future Beach Angler 144

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Future Beach Angler 144

I just bought this Kayak, and am in the process of setting it up. Haven't gotten a whole lot accomplished at this point, but did spend a little time on it today. I did get the FF (Hummingbird Piranha 170) bracket and transducer installed today. I was posting in another thread about using a 3" PVC well for the TD, but decided to go the Plumbers Putty route. I tend to over-engineer sometimes.

The main thing I wanted to accomplish was to get a cart built for it, which I also did today. Total investment about $30 and about an hour of time. It will knock-down to stow under the front hatch.

I opted for steel rod as opposed to all-thread. I figured there would be less wear (due to no threads turning inside the PVC or wheels). I pinned the wheels because I wasn't sure how far I'll need to knock it down, but the entire axle assemble (short of the uprights and foamed supports), wheels and all will stow easily.

I just ordered a paddle (Rounded 96" Shoreline) since the ones where I got the Kayak were short and cheap. The one I ordered was only $35 (w/free shipping from Amazon), so I know it's far from great, but it had a couple dozen good reviews. I'll upgrade later, and have a spare.

I'm still in the research stage (looking at others rigging), so not really much in the way of pics or accomplishments for now, but will add them as things progress. I want to spend some time on the water before deciding exactly where I want to add things. I was considering adding the anchor trollies, but changed my mind. Instead I may go with a front pulley so I can raise/lower an anchor (and I'm aware of the dangers of anchoring in current).

I'm really looking forward to getting on the water, even for just a test run (no fishing gear). Went to the local State Park today to get the $5 Non-Motorized Launch Permit (required for State Lakes), but they were closed. Guess once my paddle arrives, I'll just hit a City Park Lake for a little time on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

So far so good. My first kayak cart was very simular to yours. I did eventually
    upgrade to larger wheels and it was much better imo. Didn't see the pic of your kayak.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! They're 7" Wheels, and not anything I'd use over rough terrain, or for going any distance to speak of. I'm parked at a cousins shop, and have a cage inside (old tool crib) where I store some belongings, including the Kayak. I just didn't have my camera with me yesterday to get any pics. Next time I drag it out, I'll snap a couple pics.

I've been kicking-around building a "tunnel" on top of my enclosed trailer to slide the kayak into instead of hanging it from the ceiling. It would make access (for both the Kayak, and inside the trailer) much easier.

Pics coming soon, I promise , I was just anxious in getting a thread started....but not as anxious as getting it in the water and catching some fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey NeonMoon, you'll have a good time in that yak. Used to have a Future Beach Angler 144 myself and it's a good boat. The hull design is extremely stable. Only reason for getting rid of it is the fact that the Mirage drive system makes my Hobie Outback a WAY better boat for trolling. I do a lot of trolling for crappie, and love being able to use my legs to propel the kayak while leaving my hands free to grab rods and set hooks. Trolling from the Angler 144 produced fish as well, the Hobie just makes the process easier. So my wife and friends (who would use the Angler 144 while I was out in the Hobie) started complaining that they had to use a traditional kayak paddle while I had pedals... so eventually, I sold the 144 and got another Hobie. I will say though that my wife complains that the Hobie doesn't feel as stable as the 144 did. Get out there and have fun, and catch some fish, and post some pictures... especially of the yak once it's all rigged up.

Post Thanks / Like

Meep, I've run across lots of threads on the internet that state pretty much the same thing you did about the FB 144 A and its stability. I've got a bum leg, and can't pedal, so that option wasn't even considerable for me (nor was a set-in due to needing the easiest to get in & out of), plus, being my 1st Kayak, I wanted to start on the lower-end money-wise. It worked-out good I happen to be in the right place at the right time to get a good deal on it. I don't troll much (hardly any matter of fact), and "speed" wasn't a concern while I was looking, I just wanted stability, a fair amount of storage, and as much comfort I could get for the price. I'll use it a while, and if I see the need, upgrade later.

A concern I do have is accessing the gear in the back, I don't twist so well either (spine issues), so I may practice trying to turn around (spinning in the seat), because I can't kneel on both knees either (fumbled knee replacement). Matter of fact I'm toying with the idea of adding a seat swivel just for that reason, but will wait until I actually test-out some options. If worse comes to worse, I can just wait until I hit shore (to get out for a stretch) to get what I need (lunch, a drink, etc).

Well, I built a rocket-launcher 4-rod holder (more like 3 rods and a small landing net for those big slabs I'll be hooking) today. I just did it with the Kayak setting in the cage (which is sort of a dungeon). I'll drag it out in the next day or two and get some better pics. My cousin owns a Machine Shop, so I just stuck the tubes on a mill to cut the slots for the spinning reels.

I pulled the gear bag out of the hatch (between the legs) and thought it might be a good spot to keep a 6-12 minnows, since I will most likely be using my smaller insulated minnow bucket on the Kayak. Not sure if there will be room for it up front anywhere or not.

The hatch is about 5" deep, and would be perfect for a few minnows and cut-down the number of times I'd need to reach the bucket if it ends-up in the rear of the Kayak.

I did get my Launch Permit today while dad and I were out for lunch, matter of fact I got one for his boat as well. We were supposed to go fishing this week, but don't think it's gonna happen. I told him next week....or I would show-up with a gunny-sack and some rope Rofl

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here's a little more "meat and potatoes" for those interested.

I mounted the FF close enough for me to see, and possibly to have it in a spot it may be shaded, or a spot I could build a screen shade for it in the future if needed.

The TD (Plumbers Putty) mount.

There's a drink holder directly in front of the FF, and I thought it might be nice to have a small surface to work off of, so here's my solution. A piece of 3" PVC, a stool flange, and a cutting board. I'll screw the flange to the bottom of the cutting board, but not glue it to the pipe. This way I can knock it apart, and stow it in the front hatch. Yes, it will block the view of the FF, but would only be used once I sat-up on a spot I planned to fish a while, and would interfere with paddeling anyway.

It also gave me a spot to stow my Reel-Lite by stuffing a 4" section of pool noodle in the bottom. The entire table will float BTW.

Still deciding where/if I want to add the swivel rod holder that came with the Kayak, or just lay my poles (I generally only use 2 at a time) across my lap. I'll know more about this after I spend a little time on the water. Anchoring is another issue to deal with, and will likely do the same (decide after spending a little time in it), but I'm pretty sure it won't be a trolley system. 2-battery boxes are something else I need to come-up with. After these last few items are decided on and finished, she'll be ready for action!

Oh, I added a little extra insulation to plastic liner in my Coleman cooler since there will be little shade available. I used Reflectix (sp?)

Post Thanks / Like

My stake-out pole, made from a 6-12' Aluminum Paint Roller extendable handle (which came with a nice shouldered handle). I added a couple pieces of pool noodle, the lower one can be slid to act as a bumper for the Kayak. The handle is fluted, so it's pretty rigid, and I added a piece of 3/4" solid rod ground to a taper and drilled for a 1/4" bolt and nut (installed with Locktite), and a section of ParaCord and Carabiner .

Post Thanks / Like

Got my paddles today

And built an anchor light for under $10 using a $2.50 LED flashlight, a dishwasher connector, the lens cover from a nightlight, a short section of 1" PVC, a 50" piece of 3/4" CPVC, a 3/4" CPVC cap, and a 48" piece of 5/8" wood dowel rod.

The cool thing is I don't have to pop the light out to turn it on. Since the On/Off button is on the bottom of the flashlight, and the 3/4" CPVC is a couple inches longer than the wood dowel, all I have to do is give it a shake, and the dowel slides inside the pipe, bumps the switch to turn it On and Off.

Anchoring will be my next issue to tackle.

I might add a CD Disc on top to reflect some of the light downward. If I do I'll make it so it can be removed easily for times I want less/more interior light.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you've put alot of thought into the set up, looks nice. I dont know if your going across any sand or soft (muddy) surfaces, but you may want to think about wider wheels. Narrow wheels sink and dont pull well on soft surfaces. Just a suggestion.

Now all you need is some (fish) slime!!! It looks too clean!
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I've been looking at pics of others, and reading to get some basic ideas.

Cut-out some thick plank foam for my batteries to wedge down into just to hold them in place. I won't be in any water faster than a slow creek/river, so it's not like they'll get bounced-around.

Made some holders out of 1" PVC for my needle nose and a knife I'll keep handy in the event I'd ever need to cut any rigging. I'll just drill the tabs and probably rivet them in place if not zip-tie them some where.

Moved a couple rigging blocks around to hold the cord to keep the paddle and stake-out pole secure, plus I had some spare 550 Paracord laying around, so I made leashes for the 4 rod holders, and paddle. Guess I forgot pics of those things, so I'll get them next time.

Getting closer, anchors is about it. I did downsize my panfish tacklebag into one large Plano Box, so that bought me some room and shaved a little weight in the rear well.

Then it's slime time

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast