Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone interested in a DIY Kayak Cart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone interested in a DIY Kayak Cart

I just found this, and plan to make one. I think I'll go with a lighter wheel though (like taller plastic lawn mower wheels), I won't be dragging it that far at any point in time. I was wanting something that I could knock-down and stow in the front hatch, and this should be prefect.

Palmetto Kayak Fishing: DIY Bulletproof Kayak Cart - Build Instructions + Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Wider tires dont sink into softer surfaces like mud and sand as much as thinner ones. Ive built a couple carts, and its nice to have a DIY project that works.

Ive added broom stick supports inside the PVC uprights, and a metal pipe to the axle to add support if your carrying heavy loads over rough terrain. It does add weight, but I havent had one break yet.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't use pneumatic tires just to save weight, but I wanted a rubber tire because plastic wheels would be pretty noisy rolling down the road if I were in a campground and fishing before daylight (or coming in late). 90% of the time I won't be anywhere these wheels won't work fine. I kept the uprights purposely short (6") to reduce any stress. Heck, as cheap as they are to make (since I have the wheel/axle assembly now) if I had to make one every few years I wouldn't complain. I've rolled it a couple hundred feet a couple times in the parking lot, with about 75% of it's final load, and I have to say it works like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool deal. I wish they made a pneumatic tire with plastic rims. I'd buy that. I had found some lawn mower tires that were 3 inches wide, and now I can't remember where. ha ha

I have a couple carts with mower wheels as well. It's all good
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?