Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie fishing at night (info and tips)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Crappie fishing at night (info and tips)

Hello members of crappie.com

Many people have been asking alot about night fishing and I am posting this to answer a couple of questions about the subject.

Note: This not to be reposted by any other member. This is for information and not to redicule any past or current post and or reply. This is not for recreation on any type. All of these tactics can be used on shore, piers and boats. Thank you- spawn

Why at night:
    Many wonder why is crappie fishing at night so productive, its the fact that the water is cooled and the crappie are able to stay in their perferred temperature even in the shallows where the baitfish enjoy to hang.

Moon phase:
    The best time to fish at night for crappie, with or without artificial light is when the moon is full. The reason why it is so productive is that there is more light reaching the water and for that reason the fish have better seeing and sense of direction. During the spring the full moon is also the calling of the spawn which can really increase fishing productivity. However, the full moon has its downside. It can create current in large bodies of water.

Time of year:
    Crappie fishing at night can actually be productive all year around. The best time to fish in my opinion is during the fall and spring, during the fall its known as the "Fall feed-up". That is when the crappie are feeding on the shad that are swimming upstream for migration and the spring is when the crappie are ready to spawn and head to shallow water.

Lights:
    Lights are one of the key points to fishing at night. You can buy these lights at any outfitter and sportsman stores and or online, these light can go in and or out of the water and come in all types of different colors. In my opinion my favorite colors are yellow and green for attract more baitfish. To fish these lights simply put your lure or livebait close to the light or just outside of the ring of light it emits. If you do not have lights then try going to places like bridges that have lights and of that isnt possible then try going to where u can target the fish instead of them coming to you.

Bait:
    When it comes to fishing around lights the best thing in my opinion is to fish with a minnow on a slip-cork but you can also try worms and crickets. If live bait is out of reach than try switching to jet black or sliver jigs on a slip-cork and fish them inside or just outside of the ring of light.

Where to fish:
    If you are fishing for crappie at night try fishing for structure that carries algae to attract baitfish. When looking for structure you want to focus on structures that are from 3-10ft deep. If structure is out of reach than try finding channels that run close to the bank where the light can reach just off the drop off. Be careful when putting your light close to rocks or any other surface.

Thank you for reading remember to pack bugspray and good luck on catching the midnight slab! -spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    Hello members of crappie.com

Note: This not to be reposted by any other member. This is for information and not to redicule any past or current post and or reply. This is not for recreation on any type. -spawn
    I like a new moon better. Dark is good.

Please explain the "This is not for recreation on any type". I no understand
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Just to make sure nobody trys to repost this anywhere besides crappie.com or on a diffrent place besides the main fourm

Post Thanks / Like

Just to make sure nobody trys to repost this anywhere besides crappie.com or on a diffrent place besides the main fourm
    Why?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well i would hate for someone to recreate my work and research without giving any credit, i mean unless of course someone asked me then i will definately give a green light!

Post Thanks / Like

good info never did fish at night too many bugs and bites

Post Thanks / Like

Not to steal your thunder, but Rango pretty much summed this up years ago in an article. Ive never seen reports posted, or met anyone on crappie.com or "real life" that comes close to Rango, Pete and OT (another SC forum member) success, on a consistant basis. I'd venture to say that colored lights attracting more baitfish or catching more fish is a far fetch as well. Ive fished under a variety of lights, and have yet to find any that comes close to a BRIGHT WHITE light. THis included many of the green models and LED lights as well. I also think it has to do with location. If you know where to go, and bait is in a general vacinity, then any light will work. I know before I knew a lot of about it, Id just set up anywhere, and had limited success, with any color light.

Oh yeah, there is a wholllle thread not far below this dedicated to it.

I get what you're trying to do and it's good to spread info, but if we're going to give credit for basic info....

Post Thanks / Like

As far as it not being a recreation activity......it's been down right work for me this spring. The fish have not let up. Ive had to take my rods out of the water just to get a drink or snack

Post Thanks / Like

Well i would hate for someone to recreate my work and research without giving any credit, i mean unless of course someone asked me then i will definately give a green light!
    U.S. Copyright Office
    In that case, there are rules you must follow to copyright and protect your work.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    U.S. Copyright Office
    In that case, there are rules you must follow to copyright and protect your work.
    Now dat is funny!Rofl
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry