Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Shrinkage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Shrinkage

So over the weekend I caught a 16 inch crappie. I placed the Crappie down flat and measured it from tip of the mouth to end of the tail. I didn't run the tape along the body as it would add inches due to the girth. I kept the fish and put it into the cooler and added ice. It was a hot weekend so the ice melted and there was a mix of water and ice. The fish was caught Friday morning and when I got home Sunday evening I re-measured the crappie and it measured 15 inches. Is it possible that due to the ice, water, and how long the fish spent in the cooler, will the fish shrink? I wanted to mount the crappie as it is one of the biggest ones I caught but not rethinking if its worth it. Thoughts or if anyone can point me in the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated. I've also looked online for the answer but wanted to ask the experts on this forum. Let me know if there are any questions.

sincerely,
    crappiestalker

Post Thanks / Like

This has happened to me a number of times when I've kept border line fish just over the 10in. mark and when I got home to clean em they were under the 10in. mark Maybe Craig can shed some light on this and thanks for bringing this phenomenom up. (my fellow fishing buddies and I have been dicussing this off and on for several years)
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee...from personal experience that the fish you normally throw in the livewell ARE NOT 10" to begin with, SlabbyJ

Post Thanks / Like

i know i have had shrinkage promblems with cold and ice water alike

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiestalker View Post
    So over the weekend I caught a 16 inch crappie. I placed the Crappie down flat and measured it from tip of the mouth to end of the tail. I didn't run the tape along the body as it would add inches due to the girth. I kept the fish and put it into the cooler and added ice. It was a hot weekend so the ice melted and there was a mix of water and ice. The fish was caught Friday morning and when I got home Sunday evening I re-measured the crappie and it measured 15 inches. Is it possible that due to the ice, water, and how long the fish spent in the cooler, will the fish shrink? I wanted to mount the crappie as it is one of the biggest ones I caught but not rethinking if its worth it. Thoughts or if anyone can point me in the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated. I've also looked online for the answer but wanted to ask the experts on this forum. Let me know if there are any questions.

sincerely,
    crappiestalker
    crappiestalker,

I've heard anglers say that their 'legal when boxed' fish had become smaller and dropped below the legal minimum length limit. I'm not aware of and I haven't had a chance to look for any studies on the 'shrinking fish syndrome' (it's been a busy week this week between electrofishing and reservoir fish stockings!!). Losing an inch off of a 16-inch fish seems like quite a bit. Most of the 'losses' I've been told about are usually in the 1/4-inch neighborhood. Being dead for 36 hours between measurements probably had a bigger impact than the cold and ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Johnson View Post
    crappiestalker,

I've heard anglers say that their 'legal when boxed' fish had become smaller and dropped below the legal minimum length limit. I'm not aware of and I haven't had a chance to look for any studies on the 'shrinking fish syndrome' (it's been a busy week this week between electrofishing and reservoir fish stockings!!). Losing an inch off of a 16-inch fish seems like quite a bit. Most of the 'losses' I've been told about are usually in the 1/4-inch neighborhood. Being dead for 36 hours between measurements probably had a bigger impact than the cold and ice.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiestalker View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!!
    crappiestalker,

Heck of a fish nonetheless! One option would be getting a replica made with the original 'live' measurements instead of the skin mount with the smaller version...