Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Help Pushing Cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Pushing Cranks

I have been pulling cranks for 3 years with good results so I tried pushing some out the front while partner pulled off the back. I was using a three way with a 4oz sinker and a 3 foot leader for the 100 series bandits. My problem is simply not catching many fish. The baits being pulled were catching fish 6 to 1 over the baits pushed. I made sure I was running the same depth as the the pulled baits and matching the color also. I fish a very clear lake so maybe the boat spooks them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Fish like your hungry!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not an expert but doesn't the 100 have a different wobble than the 300? That's all I can think of.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the 100s do not ride deep enough under the track of the 4oz weight and that big ball of lead is spooking them before they get to see the crankbait...??

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I use 100s with a 3oz. weight, but I also have it on a 14ft. rod off the side. I usually pull 4 and push 2

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

For me line lenght is about 1.5 times the depth I want. 10 ft= 15ft of line out.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When I push I use 2 oz. weights .......most of the guys use a 3 but the two works good for me. The lines do lay back alittle more with the 2 My leader is only about 18-24 in. I use 200's and 300's
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

i will pull 8 and push4 at a time.i also catch more on my pulling poles,when i catch a fish on my push poles i call it a bonus fish

Post Thanks / Like

How fast were you going? For me generally speaking faster speeds get more push strikes while slower tends to be pulling.

However some days favor one over the other.

3 ft leader might be short too. I like 6-8 ft.

Post Thanks / Like

Boat fright is for real...I've seen it on the graph and contribute it to the short strike or lack thereof when fishing extremely clear water. I've experienced similar findings and have even found this to be true when pulling cranks in clear water. So far I have no real solution for pushing cranks in extremely clear and shallow water, but when I have problems with pulling I simply use planner boards to get the cranks away from the boat. That way I can still keep my short leads, but cut down on boat fright. I use Jet divers in front of Norman Tiny N's and usually have less than a 50ft. lead depending on the depth I want to fish...hope this kinda helps.
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer