Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shallow well pump question??????????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow well pump question??????????

Intake pipe to pump cracked. Pump lost prime and has been running continuously for some time. The pump head was warm, but not hot. Water was spewing out the pvc next to the intake, but no tank pressure. What is the damage likely to be? It is a German made stainless pump.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Typically the issue is potentially damage to the pump seal from overheating even if it remained flooded. Because the volute is not 'hot' may not reflect the temperature at the seal. My suggestion is to repair the intake, get up to pressure and see if it leaks. It either will or won't right now. Eventually it WILL regardless if there is damage now or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the seals and am up and running.

I can get this pump at Sears. Looks kinda like wehat I now have. What u think?? I don't know chit about pumps except my wife useta wear them. ha

Bur-Cam Pumps 506518SS Shallow Well Jet Stainless Pump .75 HP--Lawn & Garden-Outdoor Tools & Supplies-Edging & Landscaping Materials

Post Thanks / Like

What are your concerns that prompt you to consider purchacing another pump? Under the leak condition the motor was running contineously nominally loaded which should cause no issue. The impeller is typically impervious to damage from 'clean water'. Sand, dirt, debris in the water is another issue. These two are the only MAJOR parts. Since you replaced the seals I would expect the pump to be good to go, unless it is very old or of course you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

If you are determined to replace it OR have a spare check the current one for the name plate data on the PUMP. Firstly, try to match the GPM and head. This will ensure it provides similar service to the original. Secondly, the motor hp is also important as the electrical service is sized of this.

Post Thanks / Like

My pump is 14 yrs old. We have iron in the water, but who doesn't. Motor is same hp. GPM a little higher for new one @25ft. I am at 24ft.

I can buy a new pump vs a service call from Robbie to the Rescue plumbing Co.

I do loose prime on occasion. I turn power off the pump when I am not at the lake house. I suspect that the loss of prime is because of some leakage thru the pump????? I have replaced all the plumbing from the head to the foot. I dunno. Like I said, I don't know chit about well pumps, but I can read a manual. Only problem with the manual is that it is in 10 languages and not much of it is English.

Post Thanks / Like

Replace the pump Tom. Make sure your check valve on the foot is good. That well water with a lot of Iron, eat's those valves up. That'll cause ya to lose prime. Do you have 1" drive line & a 1 & 1/4 inch suction line?
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

1 1/4 at the pump down to 1 after a quick disconnect. Well man installed it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    My pump is 14 yrs old. We have iron in the water, but who doesn't. Motor is same hp. GPM a little higher for new one @25ft. I am at 24ft.
    14 yrs old, replace it. Like Wiskers said, the check valve at the foot is typically the 'lost prime' issue. They are typically not 'quality' valves. The one you chose appears to match nicely. The plumbing is simple, just put it back like ti was. I am confident you have the electrical knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

My shallow water pump (well down 20') won't pull the water up past the check valve.
    I got to put pitcher pump on to get water up past check valve, then everything works fine ....
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "