Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Trailer Lights

I'm having trouble with my trailer lights. I could not get the old lights to work properly, so I went and bought a new light kit and wiring harness. I drilled a hole in the trailer and attached my ground wire with anut and bolt, ran the new wiring and wired in the new trailer lights. My brake lights work and both the left and right turn signals work. When I turn on the truck lights the trailer lights do not come on, so I can't drive at night. I bought a tester to test my hookup from the truck and the tester says everything is ok from the truck, What am I not doing right? Why won't the lights come on when I turn on the truck lights. I have not tryed to hook in the side running lights until I get this solved, and do I even need to hook them up.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipbobber06
    I'm having trouble with my trailer lights. I could not get the old lights to work properly, so I went and bought a new light kit and wiring harness. I drilled a hole in the trailer and attached my ground wire with anut and bolt, ran the new wiring and wired in the new trailer lights. My brake lights work and both the left and right turn signals work. When I turn on the truck lights the trailer lights do not come on, so I can't drive at night. I bought a tester to test my hookup from the truck and the tester says everything is ok from the truck, What am I not doing right? Why won't the lights come on when I turn on the truck lights. I have not tryed to hook in the side running lights until I get this solved, and do I even need to hook them up.
    Check ur brown wire connection. New from China don't make it work........
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

First, its not a ground issue or the other lights wouldnt work.

If they are the lights that use a standard #1157 bulb, make sure the filaments for the parking lights are not blown. Sinse these are new, that is a long shot, but check them.

Make sure you have 12v coming from your truck connector on the brown wire. This wire is for all running lights(parking lights).
    If there is 12v there, hook up the connector to the trailer harness, remove the tail light bulb and check to see if your getting the 12v to the bulb socket. One copper terminal is for parking, the other for brake.
    If you have no voltage there, you have an open circuit somewhere between the trailer connector and the bulb socket.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of truck do you have? I have an 03 Tundra and if I leave the lights on and turn the ignition off, the lights go off. Except when I have the trailer hooked up. The truck light go off but the trailer lights stay on. That tells me there is a relay somewhere for the trailer lights. Maybe you have something similar, relay wise.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Lights

It's not a truck really. I hook up to a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Post Thanks / Like

"from the truck".....?
    Was this checked at the Jeep plug (male end) or the trailer plug (female end). Might check the connection in the female plug. If not there, check for splices (or breaks) in brown wire. Like said, it shouldn't be a ground problem.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a tilt trailer you will have to run a ground wire between the top to the bottom of the trailer back where it tilts. Ask me how I know, I spent the best part of two days and new wiring, lights and truck hook up working on it before I found out what the problem was.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default trailer Lights

The towing package from the Jeep was professionally installed and is less than two years old. The tester that I used showed everything coming out of the jeep was working properly. The trailer is not a tilt trailer, all the wire on the trailer is brand new, I've even run a ground wire from each of the lights to the trailer. I've checked the brown wire all the way back to the lights and I don't see any nicks or breaks. I still only get the brake lights and the left, right turn signals to work. Just can't get the lights to come on to run at night. I appreciate everyones help though and hopefully I'll get this figured out. I need to be on the water chasing crappie and not a wiring problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Fuses

Had a light problem similar while at Sardis. Scratched what little hair I have on my head off, finally looked at all the fuse boxes on truck and found that some of the lights for the boat were on a different fuse.(Blown fuse) You might check all of the fuses. Just a suggestion..........
    :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Had similar problem except that all my lights worked but right turn signal. Was a fuse on truck in junction box under the hood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast