Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Considering buying a Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering buying a Kayak

Not sure if some of you remember, but I've posted pics here of my Inflatable, and my Pelican (pontoon). The inflatable hasn't seen the water yet, and I've had the Pelican out a few times.

Here's my "issues"....

The Inflatable was just something I could easily haul in the trailer I pull behind the bus. The 2 man Pelican is fine, but I've got no way of hauling it (short of building a rack on top of the trailer), but I still have the issues of unloading/loading as well as launching (and I have some physical restrictions which prohibit that).

So I thought a Kayak might be the answer, something around 40-50 pounds, and I think I could hang it off the ceiling in the trailer (over my scooter), which would also keep it secure (since I have an alarm on the trailer).

So, onto the Kayak. I want a SOT, and something under the $500 range (so I'll have to sell the Pelican at some point to recoup some funds). The one that's caught my eye (from window shopping on Amazon) is the Emotion Temptation:

Amazon.com: Emotion Temptation Kayak: Sports & Outdoors

which is pretty much the maximum of my budget (considering it's free shipping). I'm 6'3, 240 pounds, have some problems getting up and down, mostly fish smaller waters (lakes and ponds) or slow moving rivers, nothing where larger boats or swift waters are an issue. I mostly panfish, but catfish now and then as well.

I may even wait until I head south for the winter, and hit an Academy Sports (we don't have them here), and get a better deal, they have a 11'6" Pelican Castaway for $380:

Academy - Pelican Castaway 11'6" Kayak

Any thoughts, opinions, options? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

You really should try the kayak out before you buy it. A good shop will have demos. Or try and find people in your area and test ride their kayaks. You would not buy a motorcycle or bicycle or vehicle without a test ride, and IMO you should not buy a kayak without one either.

I would avoid the castaway and the emotion. The heritage redfish/angler is much better boat. As is the Perception Pescador (old Wilderness System Tarpon hull). Also I would look at old town discovery 119 (also sold at Dicks sporting goods as Kaynoe).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post

I would avoid the castaway and the emotion. The heritage redfish/angler is much better boat. As is the Perception Pescador (old Wilderness System Tarpon hull). Also I would look at old town discovery 119 (also sold at Dicks sporting goods as Kaynoe).
    Thanks, but what makes one superior than the other?

Post Thanks / Like

bfish has some great advice on going to a dealer, especially if one a close enough drive. Nothing like seeing it in person. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

There's no one local where I could "test drive" one. I just went to Dunhams (Sporting Goods) a half-mile down the road just to look and see what they had. I generally don't buy much because usually they're way overpriced. I did buy an Old Town canoe from them about 20 years ago though.

Well, must have been my lucky day, because I got a $600 (even online) Kayak for $350

Future Beach Angler

Future Beach Angler 144 12' Sit On Fishing Kayak - SportsAuthority.com

It's just a few pounds heavier than I wanted (@ 57 pounds), but has a 370 pound capacity. I'll make a dolly for it do I can wheel it to the water if needed. I'll swap-over my FF and other goodies from the Pelican, and after getting a good set of paddles, will be good to go
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

ive got the future beach trophy 126 sit in an enjoy fishing out of mine, if you ever need to order parts for it the delivery is slower then snail mail,thats the only draw back ive had,

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I won't be needing anything for a while I should be starting a thread in a few days when I start rigging it up for action.

Now, if I could just find a way to trailer it behind my 70MPG Scooter.....Id have it made Rofl