Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Way to Freeze Fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's Your Favorite Way to Freeze Fish?

I know that it's probably been discussed before but what's your favorite way to freeze fillets to keep them from being mushy?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I actually weigh the fillets, I put them in a fold top sandwich bag, weigh them on a little 16 oz. food scale, fill it with water, squeeze out the excess water along with any air that might be in there, twist the top a few times, tie it with a bread tie then freeze it... I use to use freezer bags but found it is easier to get the air out of a sandwich bag... I have found through experimentation that 12 oz. of fillets is the right amount of fish for the two of us here... I have fish in the freezer all year long and have never had any that wasn't good, even if it was last years fish.... We usually have a small fish fry a year and the 12 oz. per two people works there also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HLLeonard View Post
    I actually weigh the fillets, I put them in a fold top sandwich bag, weigh them on a little 16 oz. food scale, fill it with water, squeeze out the excess water along with any air that might be in there, twist the top a few times, tie it with a bread tie then freeze it... I use to use freezer bags but found it is easier to get the air out of a sandwich bag... I have found through experimentation that 12 oz. of fillets is the right amount of fish for the two of us here... I have fish in the freezer all year long and have never had any that wasn't good, even if it was last years fish.... We usually have a small fish fry a year and the 12 oz. per two people works there also.
    I freeze my fish in water as well, have been all my kife. I use ziplock bags but would like to see what kind of sanwich bags it is you are using.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

how would a food saver work where it take the air out and they would be no water, would they freezer burn and would it change the texture of the fish when cooked?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a food saver and love it.
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day!

Post Thanks / Like

In a ziplock filled with water. Basically a block of ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TN. WATERSHED View Post
    how would a food saver work where it take the air out and they would be no water, would they freezer burn and would it change the texture of the fish when cooked?
    Dont think they would burn, no time soon anyways. Alot of folks use em.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I use the zip lock filled with water method too.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I use the po-man food saver method. I use 1 gallon ziplock freezer bags and put 10 crappie fillets per bag. first fill your sink about halfway or a little more with water. then, put 10 fillets in your freezer bag, drain as much of the water as you can from the fish in the bag by holding it upside down, may want to partially zip the bag so fillets don't fall out. Once you have most of the water drained from the bag, unzip the bag all of the way and submerse the bag in the water that is in the sink. Submerse it most of the way with just the zipper part out of the water, you don't want any water to get inside of the bag. Then, with bag still in the water, just pat all of the air out. Pat where the fillets are and make sure you get all of the air out. Then, with bag still in water, zip the bag up. The water will force all of the air out of the bag. When you get done, it will look just like it would if you used a vacuum seal. Po-mans vacuum seal. Fillets will keep fresh for up to 1 year possibly longer.
    Simple Life = Better Life

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dry 'em out the best i can on paper towels and vacuum seal in family sized packs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast