Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: curious

Post Thanks / Like

Default curious

How many of you gave up boats and fish from kayaks or canoes only? Any regrets? Kinda tossing this around myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up on a private lake and a small one person canoe was my first boat. Next came a leaky ol john boat. Next was a bigger leaky john boat with old 25hp johnson and used trolling motor. After getting a job i bought a old 16' fiberglass bassboat, and for the sake of time......12 years and 4 more boats later i was chasing yellow fin in a fine 20' deep v offshore boat. I sold that boat and down sized to my current rig, The hobie mirage outback kayak. I guess what im saying is i loved and enjoyed all my boats. Each one of them reflected a differant stage in my life. I have fond memories of the time spent and fish caught on all of them. So to answer your questions......yes i gave up the offshore boat for my yak because my circumstances changed and it was no longer practical to have it. And no i do not regret selling any of the boats i had over the years. Just like all the other boats i had before, my yak has a place all its own. Its perfect for my current situation. I must add though, since i have started yak fishing i have found it to be so much more relaxing. No gas, oil,batteries,trailors,wires,motors,fuses,ect,ect that came with owning and using big boats. I just toss the yak and gear in the truck and go! I have also found that when fishing from my yak i tend to slow down and realy fish an area good before moving on. No running around like my bass club days. lol
    Anyway, it's really just about what YOU want out of a water craft and the way you want to use it. Im sure ill own other boats later in life, but if i do, im still keeping my yak.

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda like BASSERBEN, started out small, got all the way up to a pros
    used bass boat, then regressed all the way back to kayaks. Have even tried the
    belly boats too. Have owned 4 kayaks and down to two now. I'm happy to kick back,
    relax, work out the upper torso, enjoy the scenery, jerk some perch and catch some
    slabs and eat good often. Ain't regretted nary decision. Reworkin' my WS Ride for
    more comfort. The Heritage 12 Redfish is always ready. No more runnin' & gunnin'
    for me. I'm smellin' nature at its best.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I had been wanting a Kayak for some time. They are getting more and more popular. This winter I finally purchased an Ascend FS12 fishing Yak. I've only been out twice and I love it. As the previous posters stated, it is very peaceful. I think it makes you appreciate what you have, where you are and what you are doing. I own a 17' Bass Tracker and it is beginning to sit in the garage and collect dust. Really hate to git rid of it tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I got into kayak fishing a year ago... and I love it. Within months of buying my kayak, I sold my 14' fiberglass boat because it sat in my driveway not getting used. Every time I wanted to get out on the water, I wanted to be in the kayak. When I sold the boat, I bought a second kayak, so that I could fish with a buddy, or my wife could come along and enjoy some time on the water (she doesn't fish but enjoys being out on nice sunny days). Eventually, I also purchased a very lightweight aluminum 12' jon boat (and have a 5hp motor for it)... just so that I have a boat for those rare occasions that I want one... it's small enough for the back of my truck, meaning that it doesn't take up space in my driveway. I've had the jon boat out for a total of about 3 hours so far this year, but I've got 50 hrs in my kayak... that tells you where my boating priorities lie.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been considering getting a WS Tarpon 100 for the excercise, to try something different, and try fishing with just one rod, try some different methods of fishing, getting back in some skinny water where I won't take my Tracker. I'm proud of my tracker, its an 04 PT175, and no nicks/scratches/dings on the lower unit or prop and get compliments on it most days when I'm on the water. But I see some areas on my home lake that look enticing, but won't go there in the Tracker. I don't think I would regret using a kayak, but don't see me getting rid of the tracker soon, but time could change my mind. anybody want to buy a HD RK ???? LOL
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about flavor. For me kayaking was a way to get out until I had a boat, now I love it and have upgraded my kayak. I will be buying a boat in a year or so and will again upgrade my kayak. The Hobie Pro Angler is the cat's ass or fishing kayaks and that mirage drive system frees up the hands and the legs are so much stronger and durable anyway. Currently I use a Mad River Synergy 14' and when covering distance... size does matter. Longer = speed and less energy staying on course.

Boat, I will go small/lite/cheap. I like fishing with others, kayaking is more solo. I'm looking at the Lowe Stryker 17 with a 40hp. All the boat I'll need for the rest of my life. Small/lite enough to allow even a car to pull it from the storage locker to the ramp, cheap enough that I won't need payments for long if at all.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a kayak and a 14' jon boat with a 9.9 motor. I have owned the kayak about a year and a half now and since I've owned it I think I've taken my boat out maybe three times. The jon boat doesn't have a trailer and weights about 175 lbs the motor another 90lbs trolly motor and battery another 80lbs. By the time I get all that loaded in the truck and get it to the water and unload it I'm worn smooth. My kayak weights 60 lbs and its nothin to throw it in the truck and just go fishing. I do have plans to buy a fish and ski combo boat but I will always own a kayak.
    Seth M.

Post Thanks / Like

oh and when we gonna go fishen again Gordon?
    Seth M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast