Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: places to retire

Post Thanks / Like

Default places to retire

I know i may seem a little young to be thinking about this to a lot of you guys but i am the type of person who likes to think 10-20 years ahead. i am very much aware that things often don't go as planed, but i've been thinking alot the last couple years about where to spend my retirement or should i say semi-retirement years. I am from MS and would like to stay in the south. The requirements for the area would be as follows: on or very near a good crappie lake or river (as i currently have to drive 1-1@1/2 hours), other types of fishing nearby such as trout and stripes would be a big plus, a small town or rural setting but within an hour of decent medical care and shopping,low crime rate, good community support, part-time job opportunities or possibly a small buisness opportunity, near or in the mountains or the foot hills would be nice but not a deal breaker, one last thing, if it was within a days drive of the coast would be great. I'm thinking GA, the Carolinas, TN, AL (maybe around Guntersville) If i can get some input on this it would be great, i thought maybe i could find some vacation time to check an area out. Also if anyone is currently in this situation and knows something i may not have thought about please chime in.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of luck. Let us know if you find utopia

Post Thanks / Like

Still a fer peice from the Ocean. But, I plan to retire right here in Arkansas. Coming from Houston Tx, I think have done real well landing here. There are world class trout rivers, and shallow back waters around the river or clear deep water.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm only 45, but I'm having similar sentiments about the Shenandoah Valley.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Retired in East Tennessee on Douglas lake near Knoxville/Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. There are many lakes and trout rivers here with all the species of fish you like plus many more. You can drive to the coast in a day. The cost of living here is ok too.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get very far in life. I am only 30 miles north of where I started out.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

why so negative? i am not naive enough to think i can find eutopia, but it's my time, my money, and my life. i am going to strive to get the best out of it, but will play the hand i am delt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger R61 View Post
    Lots of luck. Let us know if you find utopia
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

that statement rings of sarcasim. i would say you're very satisfied where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I didn't get very far in life. I am only 30 miles north of where I started out.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks I will check it out
    Quote Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
    Retired in East Tennessee on Douglas lake near Knoxville/Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. There are many lakes and trout rivers here with all the species of fish you like plus many more. You can drive to the coast in a day. The cost of living here is ok too.

Post Thanks / Like

this is an area i know nothing about, if you don't mind tell me more about what attracts you to it, by the way i'm only 43.
    Quote Originally Posted by backtocrappie View Post
    I'm only 45, but I'm having similar sentiments about the Shenandoah Valley.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast