Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Oxygen and it's effect on crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oxygen and it's effect on crappie

Summer time is right around the corner and was wondering how does oxygen effect the crappie in yalls fishing areas ...
    I know here in the south that sometimes when the water starts heating up from the summer heat that the oxygen content gets low in certain areas , especially body's of water near the swamp . One of the areas that I try to stay away from is black water , because it usually comes out the swamp and it is lacking oxygen .
    I also find that muddy water is very rich in oxygen , possibly too rich for crappie to actively feed and bite .But in my experience the catfish bite good in that muddy water . I've caught crappie already in semi muddy water but not the real chocolate milk muddy water .
    Does anyone experience problems with this or have any oxygen related stories about crappie fishing you would like to share ? Or , do y'all think oxygen has anything to do with how or why crappie bite ?
    Thanks in advance ...

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all fish slow down eating or even moving if oxygen content drops too low. Here deeper water tends to be low on oxygen in hot weather. Then Catfishermen complain about them die'n on trotlines. Fish like cooler water but if there is low oxygen, I catch Crappie in extemely shallow water even in 100+ degree weather. I think this is because the bait fish and Crappie go there because they need the oxygen rich shallows.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Yes ... I've run trot lines before in the summer only to go back and run them 4 hours later and the catfish on one side the trot line are alive and kickin and the other half be dead as a hammer .. The only way I can explain that is maybe a portion of bad water passed through that side the river killing the fish stuck on the hook .