Had the day off work today, so after doing a few things around the house, I loaded up the rods and kayak. After getting skunked at Chester State Park Tuesday, I decided to fish nearby Mountain Lake (why its named that is beyond me). I had fished this lake once before, two summers ago or so. It was pitch black on that occassion, so I had no real memory of what the lake was like. There were 6 or 7 other small boats on the lake when I got there, all of which were waiting in line to head home. I figured it meant the fishing probably wasnt great today, but nonetheless I would have the lake to myself.

Started beating the banks in shallow (1-4 feet) water with a small crankbait. No luck. Then began throwing a Zoom Trick Worm and twitching it across the weed mats. This produced 4 fish in a few hours....not so great. I then ventured into deeper water. Thankfully the water was VERY clear, so I noticed a 50 yard bank that quickly sloped to 15 or so feet. I new there had to be better fish on this drop off. About the time I pulled up the the stretch, an EASY 6 lber swims under my kayak as I spook it. I backed well off the drop off and began throwing a deep diving (Norman Little N) crankbait. Second cast and I feel a slick 'tick' and set the hook into dead weight. After a very uninspiring fight, I land a solid 3-4 pounder.

Picked up a few others on the same crank, but nothing picture worthy.

It was hot out today, but nothing like picking up your biggest fish from a 'yak; and in a new body of water to boot! Tight lines all.

Ross