Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass crappie mounts vs skin mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fiberglass crappie mounts vs skin mounts

Just wondering everyones input on this. I haven't caught one quite the magic size to mount for my standard but I come from a musky mentality on this that is all catch and release with fiberglass replicas and this is what I've been mostly figuring on doing if I get a trophy crappie. But I have noticed seems like about 90% of the crappie mounts I see are all skin mounts. I don't know if this is just attributed to the crappie being *expendable* compared to others or what the reasons are but if I get a monster slab, I want to see it swim away. So what do you guys think?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a fiberglass replica of the one I caught. Doggone good job done by them.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I am kinda torn. I can have a replica made of a fish I did not even catch. I don't like the thought of the fish not swimming away but I do like the thought of having the fish that I caught. I was brought up hunting, hard to shoot something, have a replica made, and release it. My wife has one mounted, it is not a replica.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wood_Duck View Post
    ... I don't know if this is just attributed to the crappie being *expendable* compared to others or what the reasons are ...
    That's what I always thought. Crappie limits are very liberal, so people tend to keep 'em all. FWIW, I'd go with fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also in favor of the fibreglass mount. That is you make sure the person doing the mount knows what they are doing.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I deal with this issue daily. There are not an unlimited variety of sizes in any of the replica/reproduction species. Some times there is just not a replica available for the EXACT measurements of a client's trophy fish. Many times the client doesn't know that replicas are available since they came to be in mostly saltwater species originally. There are also very different quality issues in some replicas. Lots of the replicas don't have a lot of detail--scale, mouth, clear fins,etc. Crappie are terrible about losing scales in the mounting process if one is not extremely careful---redears are even worse. With a skin mount you know you are getting your fish. With a replica, you can take some photos and release the fish. I do lots of replicas for tournament bass fishermen who have to release their trophies. I have never had a complaint from a client when his replica was actually larger than his trophy since there was not an exact same size available. Good detailed quality replica blanks will run a bit higher than a skin mount but you never have to worry about insects, shrinkage in mounting, and for the most part they are more durable when handled.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

From my experiences nothing can replace the intrinsic value of THE fish that a fisherman caught. The guy who has a skin mount done can say with great pride..'THAT is THE real fish I caught." Unless a fisherman pays a premium for a custom made cast of his fish, he will be settling for a fiberglass copy of a crappie that he didn't even catch. That carries a lot of weight in my neck of the woods. And if one does choose to have a custom cast made of his fish, the fish will have to be kept and given to the taxidermist for the mold-making process.
    I have never heard any science based justification for releasing exceptionally large fish. To the contrary, very large fish are almost always very old, and they do have a live span. That simply means that keeping a very big fish(very old) that was at the end of it's life span is the wise use of a renewable resource. It is an established practice of governmental fish hatcheries, aquaculture faciilties, and fish farms to perodically cull their oldest (and largest) broodstock for more productive, somewhat younger fish. IMO it is a common misconception that XL fish produce XL fish. This sounds like common sense but completely overlooks the critical role of forage supply, predation, water quality, and competition. Unless all of those factors come together in a positive way, the best genetics will not express themselves as more XL fish. If a guy wants to release a trophy size fish for any reason, that is his right. I just hope that those who choose to keep a "wallhanger" for a skin mount are fully aware of the facts that indicate that doing so is usually good conservation.
    My final comment is that while skin mounts have been around "forever," replicas of freshwater fish are relatively new. Typically people compare vintage skin mounts that were done long ago with obsolete methods and materials with newer replicas that have been finished with state-of-the-art mediums. Obviously that makes those old skin mounts inferior to replicas. That said, a contemporary skin mount done with cutting edge techniques by a competent taxidermist is comparable to a replica in every way....anatomically accurate and durable enough to last a lifetime. No shrink, no stink....no kidding.
    Good luck catching the one that you consider worthy of your wall!
    Some of life's most precious memories take place in the presence of a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn too. I'm gonna eat the real one and hang the fake one, but.....
    I just don't know if I want to hang a 17 1/2 incher just yet. What happens when
    I catch that 20 incher? I know that bridge is just around the bend and over the
    next hill and I'm gonna have to cross it when I get there. Decisions, decisions, etc.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredRR View Post
    I'm torn too. I'm gonna eat the real one and hang the fake one, but.....
    I just don't know if I want to hang a 17 1/2 incher just yet. What happens when
    I catch that 20 incher? I know that bridge is just around the bend and over the
    next hill and I'm gonna have to cross it when I get there. Decisions, decisions, etc.
    It must be nice to have crappies that size to consider!!! Up here in MI 14-15"ers are HUGE. FWIW if you catch a 20"er you'll have to either have a custom mold/cast job OR a skin mount. As of right now there are no crappie replicas as long as 20" available.....which is a testimony to how extremely rare a crappie that long is.
    Some of life's most precious memories take place in the presence of a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

17.5" is my tops right now but it was alittle thin which is why I passed on a mount at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast