Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A bit different type of presentation

Post Thanks / Like

Default A bit different type of presentation

This spring we have worked hard baits quite a bit more than in past years. Sometimes that had really worked great and other times it was back to the plastics.

One of the new pieces of hardware picked up was a Marathon Shad Spoon from Dicks, which looks almost exactly like a 1" knockoff of the ClarkSpoon's Squid Spoon used on salt water all up and down the Atlantic coast, not quite exact but really close. It has a fixed about size four hook. Over that hook gets stretched an inch and a half hollow tube; so far black and chartruese on a silver spoon has worked best. That stretches the tube flat when you work it up about as far as it will go which still leaves most of the silver spoon exposed and sort of a convex outline while the legs cover the hook like a skirt covers the hook on the larger bass spinner rigs. The action is one of darting around erratically and has produced some very good responses both cast (pretty light to cast very far, though) and jigged vertically. It looks crude but in the water it becomes very effective, generally triggering much harder bites than the normally soft plastic takes.

My fishing parter has used a similar rigging with some of the fixed hook ice jigging spoons too, and that also works, but so far this spring the little Marathon spoon has been pretty hot.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Picture please No.1
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to give you a commercial website URL that shows this spoon very well. My impression is that this is vended under a number of brand names. Go and have a look. I do not think that I should be pirating this commercial image however off what is almost certainly a copyrighted website.

LURES - SHAD SPOONS - 1" Body (3/pack)

This type of lure is used for shad and is also called a "pet spoon". Luhr Jensen has a pet spoon shaped a little differently. Many of this type come with the hook soldered in on a willow leaf blade, a form of that is used for ice fishing for very small tear drops to qite a bit bigger jigging spoons. Actually there is a lot of variation in the forms this takes. The website above shows the ones we have.