Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Towin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Towin

I have a 08 Chevy Colorado thats rated to tow 5,500 lbs. The wife and I have been doing some boat shopping and we both like the Nitro Z7 sport. The website says the boat and trailer package weighs 3200lbs. Before I buy a boat I wanna be sure I dont have to buy a new pick up to tow it. So Im wondering if some of you guys with boat towing experience and who have more knowledge on this subject than me think my pick up would be ok to tow this boat. I live about a mile away from the ramp I would be using on Smithville Lake most often so thats not my concern. My worry is can my pick up tow it long distances? What do you guys think? Thanks for any input.
    Seth M.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a big boat for a small truck. What size engine is in the truck? That is going to make the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a 3.7 liter 5 cylinder
    Seth M.

Post Thanks / Like

Seth, sent you a pm

Post Thanks / Like

stopping is as important, more so, than pulling, Z7s and Z7 Sports don't have brakes standard you will need to select it as an option, i wouldn't consider pulling with a vehicle your size without brakes, even short distances, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazualobzerver View Post
    stopping is as important, more so, than pulling, Z7s and Z7 Sports don't have brakes standard you will need to select it as an option, i wouldn't consider pulling with a vehicle your size without brakes, even short distances, good luck
    Agreed. I'm pulling a Ranger 1760 @ that weight with a Honda Pilot. Wouldn't do it without brakes on the trailer.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

There's been some good advice here! Get the trailer brakes, no matter the truck, if you plan to tow a boat that size and larger. If you plan on towing long distances more than a handfull of times per year, get a bigger truck. It will tow just fine for a while but will eat up the engine and tranny(Hard lesson learned). You've picked a good boat, now get after them!Thumbs Up
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazualobzerver View Post
    stopping is as important, more so, than pulling, Z7s and Z7 Sports don't have brakes
    standard you will need to select it as an option, i wouldn't consider pulling with a vehicle your size without brakes, even short distances, good luck

x2

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 2003 I bought a new Sportrac 4X4 which had a 4 liter V6 don't remember what the HP or torque ratings were. Used it as transportation and to go hunting in. Did not have a boat at the time so that was not a consideration. Then later moved to Willard and had better access to the lakes here. Was able to buy a 2006 Triton 21 foot fish and ski which I believe is heavier than what you have. The little Sportrac towed the boat OK with the only exception was climbing the hills down at Branson. As above the REAL problem was stopping when some idiot would pull out in front of you. Had 3 such experiences and if it were not for the trailer brakes, it would have resulted in a very bad day for us. Just as I was thinking about trading up to a heavier truck with better brakes my son totaled my Sportrac for me. Luckily no injuries other than pride. I now tow with a 2004 GMC Sierra Extended cab 4X4 and it does so much better job of towing.

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Seth,
    I own a 5 cyl colorado as well as a full size pick up. The colorado is a nice truck but won't pull the hat off your head. a 4x4 will help on a wet ramp. Still question a pull much farther than Truman. The hills on south would be a problem with the weight of a fiberglass boat. It will work but just barely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast