PDA

View Full Version : Knot nice

kb2112
04-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Help. I'm knot challenged. I've been playing with knots this weekend, and am a little disappointed in their strength. I have a new roll of trilene 6# test, and have been tying different knots and testing them with my RCBS trigger scale. It's amazing how weak some knots are.

What are your favorite knots? Some of mine were disappointingly weak, so it's time to change some. All knots were tied as I would on the water, with spit, and all failures were at the knot.

Some knots were dropper loops, surgeon loops, cinch, etc.

Speck
04-30-2012, 07:27 AM
I usually only use two knots.
Palomar (sp) and a loop knot.

rnvinc
04-30-2012, 07:41 AM
One thing I always try to remember when tying knots is NOT to cinch the knot down quickly..(even with lubricant)...

Cinching quickly can cause friction...which causes heat...which causes weakness at the friction point..which causes breakage...

Rickie

brushnjigs
04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
animated knots.com
This might help ya

bdorman
04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Palomar is my go-to knot. I like how easy it is to tie and the double loop it puts in the hook eye. Sometimes I tie it as a double palomar, although I'm not sure how much stronger that is.

jonboatfisher
04-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I usually only use two knots.
Palomar (sp) and a loop knot.x2. only 2 i use

skiptomylu
04-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Palomar most of the time, but some things I use a Uni Knot for. Especially combining two lines it's a double Uni.

bfish
04-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Palomar
uni or uni to uni (ie double uni)

Pretty much all I use, see no need for others. Except I have been wanting to experiment with slim beauty for connecting braid to leader (for bass).

southernstyle88
04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
palomar,clinch, and blood loops as i call them are my main three, depending on what line and or lures i'm fishing with.

OkieDon
04-30-2012, 10:05 AM
For Crappie fishing, I use the Huckabee loop knot. I've handled 8 lb Blue Cats with it without failing.

Third video down...Huckabee Knot (http://toddhuckabee.net)

Crestliner08
04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
With Trilene mono, I've always had good luck with the Trilene knot. I also use the palomar for drop shotting and the Alberto for leader connections. Rarely is there a knot problem.

TigerFanatic1
04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
If you have a smartphone, you get the knot wars app for free. It has animations of each knot plus tells you the strength for types of line.

deathb4disco
04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
It's amazing how weak some knots are.

Virtually any knot out there is strong enough for crappie. If you're going after tuna, or you're trying to set a line class record, knots are critical. For crappie fishing, any knot that has been suggested will work fine. For the record, I use the Orvis knot or the non-slip mono loop. Both test at right around 100%, are simple to tie, and will work with any size hook. If I want a slightly weaker connection, I go with the uni knot.

Eager Beaver
04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
A knot is only as good as the line that you use! Make sure that your line hasn't been out in the sunshine, or extreme heat. Which are 2 of the worst things you can do to your line to weaken it. I use the Palomar mostly, along with a loop knot. EB

Gotbuck
04-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Palomar for sure, wet the lines before tying any knot. I use this

Fishing Knots - Animated Fishing Knots - Step by Step Fishing Knots (http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html)

joejv4
04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
palomar and trilene knot with mono. For braid, palomar and uni are my go-to knots

kb2112
04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Palomar, surgeon loop, and clinch are my goto's. Just testing them with a trigger gauge is interesting. With fresh 6# test it's surprising how weak some are. I am wetting and tying them carefully, but some just can't seem to hold without breaking the main line.

Fyi, I'm just an average person, not a professional knot tyer.

TreednNC
04-30-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm a knot junkie. I have a fetish for tieing knots lol.....Palomar or uni....if I HAVE to tie a loop I will, otherwise I avoid it like, and most others like the plague. Joining two lines together is where I really love to have fun. So many fun choices. A bimini twist to a no-name is my favorite for two lines together, but a double uni, or double nail, for similar sized line is OK too........can't forget the slim beauty for braid to mono. Works well for thin mono.....and dont forget to SPIT!

TreednNC
04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Palomar, surgeon loop, and clinch are my goto's. Just testing them with a trigger gauge is interesting. With fresh 6# test it's surprising how weak some are. I am wetting and tying them carefully, but some just can't seem to hold without breaking the main line.

Fyi, I'm just an average person, not a professional knot tyer.

Ive never tied a palomar that broke. Always a clean break in the line. Clinch and improved clinch knots all too often come back as a curly ended pig tail or half of a curly ended pig tail (untied or broke in the knot).

kb2112
04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Well I am tying the knots and pulling them UNTILL they break, then measuring the breaking weight.

SeaRay
04-30-2012, 06:29 PM
I use the uniknot 90% of the time. Apaprently you guys prefer the slim beauty to the allbright knot for braid to mono. I learned the Allbright knot saltwater fishing so it is all I use. Never had a problem with either one.
SeaRay

skeetbum
04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
I have a video on you tube that shows the knot I use. If it has a name, I don't know it. Works excellent with braid and mono and is a snap to tie without my glasses. I think this should link you up: Crappie Double Rig with Wooly Bugger - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCih__yRyIc&context=C4b3155cADvjVQa1PpcFMpp-Sg8EJnSvHt7XMzzRpazk2LTpG_9L4=)

RetiredRR
04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
:popcornKnots. Tied so many knots in boot camp, and not for fishin'. But,
I heard about this guy (Wally Marshall) and he sounded like a hero to me. So,
I watched him tie a knot on a fishin' video, and lo & behold, I learned to
tie my favorite knot. I don't know what he called it, but I swung that
crappie lure through the loop 3 times and pulled it tight with spit, and
it allowed the lure to swing free in that loop and I forgot every other
knot I ever knew. Just a simple knot for a simple man. That's me.
Ain't lost a crappie due to knot failure yet. This is a true story.
:fish

slab-in-the-box
04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I don't think you have to worry too much about knot breaking strength when fishing for crappie to be honest. Any good 'ol uni, or even just a plain overhand knot will get the job done, doesn't matter. I mean we're talking about a fish that even at trophy size is only around 3lbs. Now, when I'm fishing for cats, I use palomar knots, improved clinch, and snell knots mainly.