Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frying Whole Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Frying Whole Fish

This might be stupid, but there is a thread in the recipe form about frying fish whole, you do scale them first right? Just making sure.
    I prefer to filet them out myself, but might not mind frying the whole thing, but it takes about the same effort to scale as it would to filet.

Post Thanks / Like

All you do or what i do is cut off their head, scale them then cut open thier stomach and clean out the cuts. Its optional to cut of tall fin top fin and bottom. Watch out for the bones and check the spot right behind where his head would be because it takes longer to get it fried.

Post Thanks / Like

That spot on the top of the skull is some of the best meat.
    I like whole fish better than my husband, but I always fry trout whole - including the head. You can do the same with any fish.
    I'll sit the scaled and gutted fish in a pie plate of evaporated milk, then dredge it in flour or cornmeal before frying.
    The trick to eating whole fish is to lift the skin with the edge of your knife and remove it.Then use your knife to lift the meat off the bones (don't stick your fork into the fish or you'll come up with a bunch of bones!). Once you've eaten that side of the fish, grab the tail and pull all the bones out, prettymuch inone piece, leaving you with the other side of meat. This method works best if you leave the fins intact. Bon apetit! - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same, I fry the small fish whole, gutted and scaled, on bigger fish I cut the heads off, or look for a bigger skillet. Melt some butter salt n pepper with a little bit of lemon juice.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

'Gills and Redears are my favorite for table fare. Have any of you guys tried scaling your panfish with a water hose? You can scale a fish in less than 15 seconds with good water pressure. Hold the fish tightly and spray from the tail to the head to get the scales off. Be advised you can get wet until you get the hang of it, but it keeps you cool in the summer!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

labill that is how i scale mine when i do scale them, i also skin them just like a catfish. it depends on my mood and where i catch them on how i clean them.

Post Thanks / Like

Never scaled em with a water hose BUT I can see how it would work . Do you have a speical attachment ya hook on to the hose ? O was thinking maybe reducing the hose down to 1/4 copper & flatten it ?? This way you SHOULD have PLENTY of pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42
    Never scaled em with a water hose BUT I can see how it would work . Do you have a speical attachment ya hook on to the hose ? O was thinking maybe reducing the hose down to 1/4 copper & flatten it ?? This way you SHOULD have PLENTY of pressure?
    Allen, I use a good hose nozzle with a fine stream, one that you squeeze a "trigger" to get various patterns all the way to a fine hard stream. And like you said, more pressure. My water pressure here at home is only just below the average, but the nozzle more than makes up for it. I'm making a board now with a strong clip to hold the fish on it, I'm thinking it should make it easier and faster to scale 'em.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i use a air hose . especialey in the winter :D . i like my fish and all other meat cooked with the bone in it .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought about using air, papasage. I have a good compressor and I'll give it a try when I go fishing again. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast