Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie was the aim, bass and bluegill was the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie was the aim, bass and bluegill was the game.

They won, though.

Wanahoo and Zorinsky opened today. Though i did not go to either one. Cold front moved through Friday, and i wanted to test out my theory of pre-spawn fish tend to bite more agressively after the cold front rather than before. Theory proved to be right, with an exception.

At first the bite was nil with the cloud cover, temps in the 50's and winds out of the north at 10 - 20 mph. But after i watch a little bit of the NFL draft, i really wasn't in the mood for a 15 min fishing trip and then call it quits. No, i was in it for the long haul. So i sat in my car for about an hour waiting for the clouds to break up around noon and filter some sunlight through. I got a little impatient waiting and started with the cloud cover again in a different spot. Didn't get very much except a few light touchs that would cause the bobber to go down for a few secs. What made it even more aggravating, as i am looking to the north and west, its blue skies, and im thinking, wow, folks up north and west here must be having a good time if the fish are biting with the sun out. Finally about 3pm the sun breaks through and consistently enough to make me feel warm despite the chilly north wind blowing in my face. When that sun came out, the number of times my bobber went down grew exponentially. Brown and orange Wasshoppah was the lure they wanted. But i still didn't nab anything good enough to see what it was or how big.

I thought, it must be bluegill and sunfish, so i went with my 2nd rod with a 1/16oz jighead and did a stop-go retrieve, they tended to bite as soon as it stopped. Lure was probably 6 - 10" from the bobber. They wanted the bait to be shallow, which made sense with the sun coming out. Finally, i got big hit, started reeling and quickly realized whatever this is, it ain't no bluegill, too big to be that. Jumped up out of the water and it was bass, good size too. But as soon as i went to pick up the slack from his jumping out of the water, there was no tension. Great! lost him. Went right back at it again, 3 casts later, hooked another big one (or the same one), but it happened again! Jumped out of the water and the jighead came out of his mouth!

I had enough after losing this big guy twice now! Grabbed my first rod, configured it to the 2nd one, except i added a heavier jighead and larger hook, so this time he would stay on. I'll go ahead and get this out of the way, i never saw him again. In fact, with the heavier jighead, nothing touched it. I alternated back and forth between the lighter jighead and the heavier one, everything was caught on the lighter one. 12 bluegill and 4 bass (under 10") was about all i could get before the clouds moved back in and blocked out the sun. Still stayed for a couple more hours after clouds moved in, but the bite had long stopped.

So, today was a decent day, my theory worked out. My hands smell like fish. Can't ask for anything less than that, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Right. Thumbs Up
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiredrr View Post
    right. Thumbs up
    x2

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team