Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging question

Went fishing a couple days ago and wanted to try spider rigging. Did ok ten keepers (enough for dinner) however I have to ask why is it so critical to keep your bait vertical? The conditions were ideal, little wind and was able to move around at .02 to .03 I've never fished that slow before. Once I found the fish 7 feet down over 14 foot they were eager to bite. Does keeping the line vertical keep the bait away from the boat? Any advise would be a great help as this all new to me........

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not absolutely critical to keep the bait vertical unless they are wanting it slow. If they are wanting the bait faster, don't worry about the line angle unless it gets too severe.

Post Thanks / Like

3/4 ounce sinker at 1 mph works just fine. Don't be afraid to move faster you just have to watch the line in the trolling motor if you don't have long enough rods.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I saw heavy lead sinkers used to hold lines down. Faster you troll, heavier lines, and bigger baits cause more drag meaning more weight. Better to keep lines ahead of the boat IMO.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3 oz sinkers... works for me if I am moving faster... I can move 1 mph and the line stays straight down.

Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Line straight down means all I have to do is count to know what depth my bait is. Line at an angle means I have to do guestimated trigonometry.
    You just gonna sit there an argue, or fish?
    ~Claud Ledbetter~

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember a lighter weight will usually catch more fish. You want to use just enough weight to keep your lines straight down. I personally use BnM 14ft poles so I can keep my bait as far in front of my boat as I can. Uaually eariler in the year they want the bait slow. As the water warms up fish will bite going a little faster. I start out in the spring using a 3/8 oz weight and maybe go to a 1/2oz a little later. If it is going to windy I will go to a little heavier weight.