Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fickle!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fickle!

Hello all.

New to this forum.

I have a quandry at my favorite river this year. (The Grand river in Grand Rapids,MI). Last Friday I had a routine day for a moderate high water event wherin I caught a mixed bag of whites and blacks not less than 9".(The grand is an excellent fishery up here). 15 to hand is good here in the spring for a couple hours.

My quanrdy is that one day here,next day gone! I have NOT been able to crack this nut...Where ARE THEY? Where is a good place to start looking for them? We have had cold front after cold cold cold up here this year.They are not being predictable as usual.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Fishdad; 04-27-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Addition.

Post Thanks / Like

The river is moderate flow with small eddies and light grades.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Florida. Ya might want to drop down to the Michigan forum and post the question there. They might be able to set ya straight. Doodler should be along shortly here as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant say for sure what the problem is but i can tell you about the mississippi river that i fish. Fishing in the spring for the most part is hit or miss big time. This spring was the first spring in probably atleast 6 years that i caught more than 5 crappies in one day. The fall bite is good every year no matter what but i dont know what the deal is with the spring. Im pretty sure its due to the river always going up and down and you can just never get a good pattern going because the next day the river will be down two inches or more and the fish will be gone if you had found any to begin with. Another thing that i have noticed is that when a cold front hits you can still catch fish on the big lakes loaded with crappie but on the river you might as well forget about it because you wont catch crappie no matter how hard you try! I keep in touch with plenty of guys that know the river as well as anybody and when the river goes up or down or the weather changes you just plain out cant catch them untill things settle back down. I always wonder the same thing as to where they go but im pretty sure they just shut off so much that they are next to impossible to catch more than a few.

Post Thanks / Like

From Texas too. And.............maybe you caught the last of 'em?
    Just kidding. They are testing your fortitude, how serious you are about
    winning. Now, go out there and show 'em your lure, and don't give up 'til
    the stringer is full. You knew when you saw I was from Texas that your leg
    was gonna get pulled. I've found out it takes all kinds to make up a forum. LOL
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"