Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wateree Saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wateree Saturday

Me and a friend fished the channel above wateree creek. Got started about 7:45 in the morning and had 14 or so by 10:30 drifting minnows. Then the worst thing that can happen, we got a cross wind. From that point on we caught fish in scattered locations and most were smaller fish. Quit at 3 PM and cleaned 23 crappie and had tossed 6 0r 7 back during the day. Caught one striper about a pound and a half. Had another friend that stayed at the mouth of wateree creek all day and ended up with 24 crappie. Didn't have a temp gauge so don't know what water temp was. Oh the white perch were out in force and we had one thug attack. Creekcomer I didn't see you, but I only got dawn as far as the houses above taylor creek. Rango I can't believe you guys didn't have better luck on the crappie down at colonel creek. We almost headed down there about lunch time. Good thing we didn't huh! steve

Post Thanks / Like

Old scout, we pulled jigs from the mouth of colonel creek down to the islands across from clear water cove, when we decided to quit and striper fish. Ive got a friend that has a place on colonel creek and he was as suprised as you when i told him we dint have any luck with the crappie. He probably knows the area from colonel creek to the dam about as good as anyone and when i showed him on the topo map yesterday the places we fished he did point out theyd never had any luck to amount to anything in the areas i showed him. He cautioned me that a lot of places looked good but wasnt very productive. He marked a topo for me, showing me all the hot places he knows on that part of the lake so next time i troll down there ill hit them spots and see what happens. i fished with him a lot a few years ago down there but the exact spots was vague in my memory. we talked to a couple guys who told us most of the crappie was being caught in the upper part of the lake. Ive got a serious bug hammering on me right now and if i feel like it this coming friday im gonna go back to wateree and spend the day striper fishing. I felt so bad down there saturday all i could think about most of the day was gettin back home and gettin to bed. I most definately wasnt at my peak for sure. that last hour of daylight and them stripers we caught perked me up but dint cure me hope to see you down there sometime. dont be bashful about hauling rein and chattin if you run across me.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy We Got SKUNKED!

Ole Scout; We started at daylight friday in Dutchsmans creek cause the depthfinder showed the fish at 15-16ft in 18ft of water in the stump field as we call it. Slow trolling jigs some tipped with minnows, some not...water temp was 59* and the water slick as glass, we worked the channel from the bridge down toward the back to 8ft of water and back several times, and the started moving in closer toward the banks, hitting the points, and tha flat on the right side, and finally moving out under the bridge into deeper water and did'nt even get a hit, but left a handful of jighead's in the stumpfield . We spend all day in that area and did'nt boat a fish, so we call it a day and went to the camper to shower and eat. Sat around tha fire with tha medicine bottle in one hand and our map laid out in front of us planning our next morning attack....Day light sat, we started in the back of singleton's and trolled out, and about the time we got to the mouth is when we got that cross wind, so we headed up to taylors and made a scouting run and seen very few fish on the depthfinder, so we moved up the the shallow marker's across from wateree creek and tried the drop off there with only one hit, a 2lb stiper which felt good on that 8ft flyrod, but no crappies. We the went back to the back of Dutchman's and drifted minows back out to the bridge and at 4:30 called it quits....But the weather was beautiful, the camping was great, and the medicine help ease the pain on getting SKUNKED! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Im going back to wateree this friday if i can get this bug i have busted up to where i feel like doing anything. However, this time i will not be targeting crappie like we did this past sat, but will be looking to tie into some more of them stripers we caught sat past. the day after thanksgiving im sure the lake will be crowded with many folks on holiday. If any of you guys see me, haul in and say hi. Maybe we can trade some info.

Post Thanks / Like

Plan on going friday myself rango. My son, who is at unc-wilmington, said he wanted to get in on some crappie action. Just hope the weather cooperates for him. He's been doing the saltwater thing and needs to get his hands in some freshwater. I just hope the front isn't too strong. Friday after thanksgiving usually isn't as bad as most saturdays. I Probably will stick a rod in for those linesides also. Bait's not a problem if they stay as thick at colonel creek as they were weekend before last. He's gotten pretty good with the cast net. Are you gonna be down in that area? If i see ya I'll stop and introduce myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Scout
    Plan on going friday myself rango. My son, who is at unc-wilmington, said he wanted to get in on some crappie action. Just hope the weather cooperates for him. He's been doing the saltwater thing and needs to get his hands in some freshwater. I just hope the front isn't too strong. Friday after thanksgiving usually isn't as bad as most saturdays. I Probably will stick a rod in for those linesides also. Bait's not a problem if they stay as thick at colonel creek as they were weekend before last. He's gotten pretty good with the cast net. Are you gonna be down in that area? If i see ya I'll stop and introduce myself.
    Im thinking of puttin in at dutchmans creek this time cause of the steep ramp at colonels creek. there or over at clear water cove. i wont be in a sea ark friday, but a white center console sea pro, 19 ft. this boat is not set up for trolling so we wont be doing any of that. we will be targeting striper from colonels creek down toward the dam. one throw with the cast net saturday yielded more shad than we could ever use. the shad was in the back of colonels creek. when we figgered the pattern, we wore em out for about an hour. If i see you down there ill explain it to you. reign in if you see me and well chat some..