Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Searching for the ideal fishin' boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Searching for the ideal fishin' boat

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the board, and really enjoying reading all the posts and articles. I'm a long-time fisherman that had a nice tin bass boat about 17 years ago (Lowe). Back then, I was primarily a bass fisherman. Because my kids needed the $$ more than I did, I've since been fishing out of a 14-foot jon with a 9.9HP Evinrude and a TM. This rig is great for some of the 80-acre lakes near my house, but not quite adequate for large impoundments like Truman and Table Rock.

Now that my kids are ALMOST out of the house, I'd like to get another big boat. I can tell you that at one time, my dream rig was a nice, flashy fiberglass rig, complete with fancy electronics and a moderately sized outboard. However, I'm now more of a multi-species angler rather than just a bass fisherman. Crappie are high on my list (not excluding white bass, channel cat, smallies, etc.).

My question is this: Do most of you fish from a multi-species boat like a tin rig, or do some of you have glass boats? I've given it lots of thought, and I personally think a fancy glass rig would be a waste of money for me. Right now, I'm thinking something like a Crestliner, Lowe, G3, etc. with no more than a 115HP motor. Sorry for the long thread, but I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I sure like my center console Predator. It is an 18' glass boat with a 90 hp Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a Stratos 219 multi species fiberglass boat. They dont make this model anymore but its comparable to the Ranger fisherman series boats but about 20,000 less . Stratos makes a couple of mulit species glass boats now.

Post Thanks / Like

My first comment would be that you can rig out al Al. boat just a fancy as you can a glass boat. As far as "ideal", I think that no matter what you get there will be things about it that you would like to change at times. Look at what is out there and decidee on one and the features that will suit your style most of the time. My War Eagle stick steer is great for my style of crappie and bream fishing, but not quite so great for bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have an 1872 sea ark. These boats are built like a tank. But, it is not my ideal boat. I don't care for the high front deck, the older you get the less you will like a high front deck. It only has a 3 degree hull. Stable as walking on concrete but it sure hurts you when hitting waves/rough water. I research all the time trying to come up with the perfect bream boat. So far there are a couple that get close but none exactly spot on. The two that i like the best are the war eagle predator and sea ark CRX186. The hull design on the xpress boats interest me also. My current boat has a 70 horse 4 stroke suzuki and pushes it just fine for as big a boat as it is. I don't buy into the idea of maxing out the horsepower. Not interested in going 60 mph on a tin can sled. A few years ago Triton made a fiberglass low front deck boat but they have since quit making them and are hard to find. Keep looking, ride in as many boats as you can to get a feel for them, ask CC members to take you out, I'm sure they would be glad to show you their rigs. In the end there is no ideal boat that does it all.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Everybody has a different idea on what makes a "ideal fishin' boat" ... but, if you want to know what boats our members have, look no further than the top of this forum page, where many different types/sizes/styles of boats are shown by their owners.

I never really understood what "multi-species" boats were, as compared to any other type of boat ... since any boat can be used to catch multi species. It's all in how you rig'em, and where you fish'em. What constitutes a "ideal" rig to you, may be useless to overkill to others. Both alum & fiberglass boats have their pros & cons, high, middle & low end models, and price ranges all over the scale.

If a brand new "fancy glass rig" is not for you ... consider a lightly used one. If glass is just not where you head/heart is ... there's plenty of alum. boats to consider. Comparison shop your top considerations, and see what you can get the best deal & service on.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently fishing out of a g3 1860ccj. I like it for the most part. No matter what you get there will be something you don't like. Check out the lowe frontier 2072cc. That is one awsome looking boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Take what you do and try adding saltwater fishing in the mix. I am stumped as well. Don't overlook the boats touted as Bay Boats by the saltwater companies. Browse the pics on here, walleyecentral, and thehulltruth. You will be totally confused when finished. But whatever ya decide, post lots of pics. Good luck and have fun shoppin

Post Thanks / Like

I just sold my 1998 Lowe 180 and went to a Basstracker Tournament 18' Allfish with a 90 HP Mercury. I like the lower front deck and all the open floor space in it.
    It has front & rear livewells and 2 seat bases on the main floor. The biggest drawback I see so far is the rear elevated deck is kind of small if you're bass fishing but so far I like the rig. My wife loves being able to sit on a pedestal seat without having to be on a deck level with the top of boat,she has never really felt safe in a boat while sitting that high.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an aluminum 17 ft G3 HP 170 with a Yamaha 90. I bought it new 4 years ago and it is my first boat. I got a good deal on it and what sold me was the price. All I added so far is a pair of Minnkota Deckhands for the anchors. I fish mostly lakes that are 200 acres or less. It is easy for me to launch by myself and has a good ride. My wife likes the fact that the rear deck is big enough to lay out on while I fish and we can go fast once in a while (at least for us). No negatives so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast