Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnows vs. goldfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnows vs. goldfish

Walked into Cabelas a few weeks back and asked what kind of live bait they had. Minnows and chub were pretty standard, but then he said goldfish and i thought, wow, never really heard of anyone using goldfish as bait, haha.

So i wonder, is there anyone out there who has used goldfish as live bait? How did it go?

Post Thanks / Like

That's what they use for catfish, why? I'm not sure but it seams to work for them.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

Driftmaster's Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

use to use them all the time for bass also. worked great. never seen them used for crappie on purpose.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I have fished with lots of people using different things. I see folks use them all the time for Catfish. The folks from Pools fisheries in Lonoke Arkansas raise Goldfish and one of the family there uses them for Crappie. They say several folks buy them for Crappie as the are easier to keep alive.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts exactly, goldfish are much easier to keep alive than minnows. But, i wasn't sure if freshwater fish would be attracted to basically a tropical fish. Never heard of goldfish being used as catfish bait. Though it now makes sense why the state record goldfish was caught in a catfish pond, lol.

Though i didn't understand what the guy meant when i asked him prices. He said $2.49 for a scoop of minnows, which is about 18. Goldfish is $4.49 for 5 - 7. Whether that's scoops or fish, i don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy gold fish for about $4.50 a lb for catfhish bait. Usually about 15 +/- depening on their size per lb. Med minnows, same price, but about 10x as many per lb. Also buy small carp for catfish bait too.

Post Thanks / Like

Goldfish are not tropical fish. They are every bit as hardy as true carp. They belong to a group of closely related fish that actually go so dormant in winter that they can survive without any oxygen. They have naturalized in some places and have reverted to wild form in some places and then they are not gold either. Then they resemble small carp but lack the barbels. BTW you may here some immigrant mention that in "my country" we eat the little carps. They are referring to the goldfish family and they are supposedly better eating than the much bigger true carps. They never get over a couple or three pounds usually but they fight as hard as their bigger cousins pound for pound. There are at least a couple of metro ponds with the reverted goldfish or perhaps the Crucian carp, which is nearly identical, where one will catch them once in a while. Lots of fun on light tackle.

The question of goldfish as bait is moot up here in Minnesota. Here it is illlegal.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris - Goldfish work fine for crappie, bass, cats and white bass. I have a 1/4 acre pond that I recently renovated, thanks to the neighbors poaching out my fish, and stocked 5#'s of rosie reds. They should explode in there and by fall i should have thousands. A rosie red fathead looks like a red hot burning ember on a black night in clear water. i have fished them against a regular colored minnows and hands down i had quicker hits on the rosies. One year I iced fished with them SW of Valentine, NE and stocked the sewer plant in Valentine when I left. Unfortunately they did not survive in the clarifier basin Where do you live in Nebraska?

Post Thanks / Like

Illegal in Michigan also
    Mr. Bus Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Same here illegal in ny for bait

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast