Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast a action......moderate action.....and sensitivity.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fast a action......moderate action.....and sensitivity.......

I understand the diff in the way a fast action and a moderate action rod bends......my question is........is the fast action usually more sensitive? Or does action even play a role? Assuming your talking about the same brand and model of rod.......

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought of something else also.....what about a 2 peace compared to a1 peace......again just taking sensitivity....same rod model and action etc....

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the material composition would have more to do with sensitivity than the action. Material such IM6 vs IM7 vs fiberglass or fiberglass/composite mix all feel different and telegraph info different (sensitivity) along with the type of line used. Personally, I'm try to avoid IM7 graphite (at least to me) IM6 transmits light tics better. I would also think handle design and material play a roll here too.
    I would think a 1 piece rod would be more sensitive but I couldn't say for sure. All of my rods are 2 piece.

Post Thanks / Like

sent ya pm

Post Thanks / Like

1 piece should be more sensitive an stronger. 2 pieces are weaker at the joint. Everything else being even, I think the faster tip would be more sensitive. I even surprise myself sometimes when I feel something so light that it causes me to react and then find a big slab on the end of my line. With a sensitive rod in your hand, you don't have time to think, you just react. I've missed a lot of good fish when I wasn't sure and by the time I realized it was on, it knew something was wrong and spit the jig out.

Post Thanks / Like

@ c-max......i was thinking like you, but I noticed that rods that are made for specific techniques are typically the same action across the board....ie finesse rods are fast action....crank bait rods moderate etc......so thats sort of what got me wondering......but what you posted makes sense to [email protected] didn't get a [email protected] doubt about how big of a diff a good sensitive rod make.....i just bought a st croix and fished with it for the 1st time this wk....wow.....thanks for the input fellas

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the rods that I get excited over, and doing what I do I get to a lot of outdoor stores, is the St. Croix 6'6"LF 1 piece. It just fits my style of fishing to a tee. That said, I also have 2 - 8' , 2 piece BnM BGJP that get a lot of time in my hands, and they aren't expensive. For vertical jigging, and float and jig they are hard to beat. They aren't the best for casting tiny jigs with the braid I have on them, but they are a versatile rod that I wonder how I did without. I'm going to try a reel that has lighter line to see if they will cast those tiny jigs.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with that St. Croix UL and I can feel it when a slab hic-ups just before
    it nails my jig. Well, almost anyway. It does increase the heart rate and
    enhance the battle. My wife gets jealous when I talk about my St. Croix. lol
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredRR View Post
    I fish with that St. Croix UL and I can feel it when a slab hic-ups just before
    it nails my jig. Well, almost anyway. It does increase the heart rate and
    enhance the battle. My wife gets jealous when I talk about my St. Croix. lol
    I bought a 6ft fast action ul.....then the day I fished with it I came home and ordered a 7ft light fast action, I was sold on the st croix after I felt the 1st strike.....my wife called me a junkie when I ordered the 2nd one ha ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    One of the rods that I get excited over, and doing what I do I get to a lot of outdoor stores, is the St. Croix 6'6"LF 1 piece. It just fits my style of fishing to a tee. That said, I also have 2 - 8' , 2 piece BnM BGJP that get a lot of time in my hands, and they aren't expensive. For vertical jigging, and float and jig they are hard to beat. They aren't the best for casting tiny jigs with the braid I have on them, but they are a versatile rod that I wonder how I did without. I'm going to try a reel that has lighter line to see if they will cast those tiny jigs.
    Im a big fan of the st croix...... I also have a bgjp that I like pretty well, very solid rod..... I talked wih Jack at BnM a little while ago and explained to him that I wanted a rod to cast a small jig head under a small strike indicator.....he advised I try a float and fly model, I was a little worried being as it was geared towards small mouth, I hate to fish with a rod that over matches the fish....any how I decided to give the f&f a whirl.....Ill tell ya i dont think theres a better rod made to cast a 32nd jig under a smal strike indicator, and the action is perfect for crappie fishing.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast