Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Green River Advise for this weekend....

lunchbox Guest

Question Green River Advise for this weekend....

Hey guys I am heading out to Green tomarrow afternoon and am gonna do some night fishing than camping and fishing on saturday all day. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Insect repellent!!!! I pulled the first tick of the new season off me yesterday.

lunchbox Guest

Smile

LOL yea the bugs are out in force especially after that rain yesterday. Well I am heading out there in about an hour and will try and give an update to yall when I get back. Take it easy yall.

lunchbox Guest

Just returned from Green and had a pretty good day. I caught 23 crappie but all were small. I have a question tho. I was fishing downed trees in about 5 feet of water and catching crappie than 30 feet of water for walleyes and catching crappie. Why is it that crappie would be all over the water column? any info would be helpfull for the future.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question That could well be ....

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox
    Just returned from Green and had a pretty good day. I caught 23 crappie but all were small. I have a question tho. I was fishing downed trees in about 5 feet of water and catching crappie than 30 feet of water for walleyes and catching crappie. Why is it that crappie would be all over the water column? any info would be helpfull for the future.

for either, or both, of two reasons : the see-saw temps ... and the fact that the larger fish generally spawn first, followed by the mass majority of the younger (smaller) fish. I think it's happening at several other lakes, in this state, as well as some other states. They don't all react to the same water temps, so some may have gone to the banks when it suited them and got caught in the chill down and left (and gave up) ... others may have gotten off to a late start, and now that the waters are warming back up .. they're giving it one last try. Then again, it could just be that those shallow fish would normally be there, anyway. I'm just speculating ... so don't take my word as gospel.
    Green is known to be a lake that produces a couple of years of "barely keeper" fish ... then, Slabzillas .... then back to a couple of years of keepers. Last year was a Slab year, but was also cut short by weather changes ... I was hoping that would have helped a large number of the Slabs to have survived the spawning period, without having been caught.

Were you around the state campground/island area .... or the river end (Holmes Bend area) ?? I've always had better luck around the island area/state campground area .... jigs on blowdowns & submerged wood - Roadrunners on sand/mud flats. Used to always go there around the 3rd week in April, and had planned to this year ... just didn't make it.

The only walleye I've ever caught from there ..... I was casting a Roadrunner along a pea gravel point, for Crappie :D (late April timeframe).

Thanks for the report .......... luck2ya ..... cp

lunchbox Guest

Thanks crappiepappie. Yes we were fishing the campground island area and pretty much didnt leave that area all weekend. When we were crossing the river bottom to the island the ledges were loaded with fish and I am believing that the walleye were holding on them. It looked like it would be a great vertical jigging area but I didnt get the chance as it wasnt my boat so I had to go where the boat was going.. Next time my plans are to try and troll as much as possible as even the crappie were hitting my minnow at 30 FOW when I was bottom fishing with a very slow troll. I personally think that would have been the way to go this past weekend. Once again thank you.