Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Been doing some flying

Post Thanks / Like

Default Been doing some flying

I figure since I can't seem to get a crappie or any other pan fish on a jig I might try flies this year. ?Been tying up a few and wanted to know what everyone thought. Should they be good for crappie, gills and perch or do I need to go another direction? Maybe more dries instead of nymphs? Minnow patterns? Other?

Anyway, here are some I tied, I hpe that something finds them appetizing.

I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

First, I'm shocked you can't get a fish on a jig.

Second, all the flies look good. The gills should definitely go for them. I tend to keep my fly selection for bream very simple. I fish a bead head woolly bugger or a rubber-legged dragon (RLD) about 90% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get the crappie, gills or pan fish to hit anything around here. Only thing I haven't tried is fly fishing for them. Salmon and steelhead are easy on a jig for me but pan fish are just turning into my nemesis. Tough lakes to catch them locally I guess.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    I can't get the crappie, gills or pan fish to hit anything around here.
    Live bait would definitely take them. For artificials, I've been doing really well on the 1/64 oz trout magnet.

Post Thanks / Like

Live bait don't work either. Tried crawlers, crickets and spikes and nothing. Beginning to think that I have been lied and that there are not crappie, bluegill or anything but trout and bass in the local lakes.

flies have worked for me in the past so it is time to try them again. Using a real fly rod and line will make it a lot easier than trying to throw flies on a 5 foot trout rod and 4# mono. Maybe my micro jigs will be the ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that this advise is going to help as you are higher and further West than I normally fish this time of year however...Chamois worms, grubs, and marabou damselfly nymphs have been working here in New Jersey. A slow retrieve with occasional quick, short jerks has caused most of the hits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_4_all View Post
    Live bait don't work either. Tried crawlers, crickets and spikes and nothing. Beginning to think that I have been lied and that there are not crappie, bluegill or anything but trout and bass in the local lakes.
    You may be right. If you can't catch bluegill on maggots, they're just not there.