Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Correct Weight for Spider-Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Correct Weight for Spider-Rigging

Hello All,

I recently purchased 4, 14' B&M PST rods, and have gone out pushing jigs twice. I am using 8lb test mono rigged with 1/2 oz egg sinkers and 1/32 oz jigs, Carolina style. The 1/2 oz weights work fine for shallow depths, up to about 6'. However, the other day I located some fish about 25' down, and tried to get them with limited success.

It seemed like the angle on the line was way too much, and the jigs were probably directly under the boat. I was only pushing at .7 mph, on average (+/- .3 mph depending on the wind). Here is the question: What weight should I use for depths that are around 25', if I am pushing 1/32 oz jigs on 8" test, at .4 -1.0 mph?

I.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3/4 oz when fishing depths over 10'. Also, you and most other fishermen are fishing much too fast, in my opinion. I don't consider spider rigging trolling, but rather multiple pole vertical jigging. I almost never move faster than .4 mph, if I can help it.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    I use 3/4 oz when fishing depths over 10'. Also, you and most other fishermen are fishing much too fast, in my opinion. I don't consider spider rigging trolling, but rather multiple pole vertical jigging. I almost never move faster than .4 mph, if I can help it.
    Yep, I try to stay around .2 mph if possible. I have rigs tied for the following.
    2'-6' .... 1/4 oz
    6'- 10' ...1/2 oz
    10' - up .... 3/4 oz
    I've never fished below 18' but I guess if I did I would make some 1 oz

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

Driftmaster's Pro Staff

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

5/8oz.... Snake n da brush™ ...at 0.1 - 0.4mph...

I use the same weight for all depths so that the rod tip movement of the bite is consistantly recognizable...

Rickie
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/4 oz for less than 6', 3/8 for 6 to 12 and 1/2 oz for 12' or deeper. I agree with you may be moving too fast.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished multiple poles (4) for the first time in my life yesterday and had the time of my life ! I was using 1/16 ounce jig heads in 10 to 12 FOW but was fishin prolly 9 or 10 ft deep . I was barely moving along a ledge drop off in a canal . Basically right down the side of the Lilly pads . There wasn't anything relaxing about it ! I didn't have enough hands . Matter of fact I had 3 on at one time more than once ! They wasn't monsters but I kept 25 and threw that many back . Just by reading yalls comments and advice I'm beginning to think y'all know what y'all talkin about ! Thinking about just going back to one pole ! Lol not really

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Take this advice he is the KING of slow trolling on Ms board. And a good guy (guide) to boot

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

What feelay said. I don't ever push jigs that fast. There are times when fish want it faster and times when they want it slower, but 0.5 is probably the fastest I ever go. Most times, I am moving closer to 0.1.

You mentioned "depending on the wind". You probably know this, but use the momentary switch into the wind to maintain your speed.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

Post Thanks / Like

There are occasions when they are chasing when you may want to go a little faster, but to keep the bait verticle, use a 1 oz weight. The key is, keep the bait as close to verticle as possible.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day!

Post Thanks / Like

Idunno... I sent you a PM

Blake

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast