Hi All,

This weekend, I accompanied my Boy Scout son on a canoe trip. Our Troop is very lucky to have 18 of the old aluminum canoes- 2 seats- maybe 15 feet long or so. This weekend was a "fun" weekend- we got the new boys accustomed to canoes and did a swimming test, etc. Next month, we are doing our big 3 day canoe trip/campout down the Alapaha River- the plan is to throw a line while we canoe and whatever panfish or bass we catch we'll cook up that night. I have never trolled from a canoe. In fact, I rarely fish from a boat at all. I have a jon boat with oars that I carry out a few times a year but just cast like I do from shore.

So, I need a little advice. This is what I have decided on so far:

An inexpensive 5 foot rod and reel. I have a Shakespeare Light Action rod and inexpensive Master reel. There are some rapids in this river and if the worst happens, I don't want to lose any of my good rods/reels. I also chose a shorter pole because I think it'll be easier to manage while canoeing.

I have it rigged with a modified carolina rig. I'm using 6 pound test, with swivel, and about a foot long leader. I have a bobber attached above the swivel so it doesn't slide down. I'll admit, I never fish with a bobber from the bank.

For a lure, I'm using 1 inch curly tail grubs with some of the smallest hooks I have (they're actually live bait hooks for minnows, etc.). Both the grubs and hooks work well for when I fish for panfish from shore.

I'm not sure on a weight. I have a medium/small splitshot about halfway down the leader. I'm not 100% sure that I even need that so am open to suggestions here.

What about the drag on the reel? Any other ideas that you can advise me on or correct me where I'm wrong? All replies will be appreciated.

Thanks so much-