Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hillsdale 04/21 Bass...I mean Crappie Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hillsdale 04/21 Bass...I mean Crappie Report

Dropped the kids off at grandma and grandpa's last night to have a date night with my wife...so I did what any respectable husband would do...took her fishing.Rofl

Got to Hillsdale and started fishing around 5:00pm. We hit the cove off the Jayhawk ramp first thing. We fished shallow with 1/16 oz jigs under a float. We caught a few dinks shallow so moved on.

Headed to the Wade Branch and fished near the Russell Crites boat access area. Lot of guys fishing the timber there so we tried shallow. No good there.

Moved acrosss the lake to the bridge and Little Bull. A lot of shore anglers taking advantage of the spawning activity. We tried to hit some areas where we would not interfere with the shore anglers but did not have any luck.

We moved around some more and I backed off the bank a bit. I began fishing deeper off the front with some jig poles while my wife casted to the bank. Again no luck.

Finally found fish in a cove but they were the wrong color...at least for me....but the wife had a blast. The fact she was the one catching them probably had something to do with that. We caught quite a few largemouth. If we had been in a Bass Tournament we would have been in the money. To all you bass tournament fisherman...don't overlook the red/chrtz jig under a float on 6lb test pattern.

As the sun began to lower...we did get into some crappie. We caught about 20 on jigs under a float...but only two were box fish. Caught both males and females. Couple females were still full of eggs but were small...8-9".

Crappie fishing was tough and nothing picture worthy....but I did include a pic of one of the bass my wife caught. She boated several of these!

Name:  04.21.12.Bass.Hillsdale.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  42.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

What a fun "date" night, I'll have to remember that one and try sometime!!! Thanks for the report!!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

Good times....what I am jealous of is look how calm that water is....a rarity around here

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice report.Date night fishing,can't beat that!!WTG
    Life is good today.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey good report , sounds like you both had fun that is what counts. Nice bass.