Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Default roadrunners

tried to use some of the roadrunners called crappie thunders... everyone around me were catching crappie on minnows and i could not catch even one crappie on the roadrunner...
    whats up with that? tried all my crappie max crankbaits as well and not a dang fish... any ideas on other artificials for crappie???

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dustin ... personally speaking, I'm not a big fan of the "big" bodied plastic Roadrunners. I've used the marabou version for decades, and they've worked well for me. That said, they will catch fish ... but are probably better suited for when the fish are chasing/eating larger sized prey.

I'm just guessing, but I'd think that the minnow users were not moving around much, or if they were ... they were not moving very fast. The prevailing weather pattern has the fish scattered about, deeper than they normally would be this time of year, and probably holding out for a prolonged period of warm & stable weather, so they can finish their spawning attempts. They're doing just that, in the local lakes I've fished in KY.

One thing I do, when the fish are backed off from the spawning shallows (due to cold spells or flip-flop weather), is to use a jig rigged much like a minnow. Basically, I have a 1/16oz jig tied on, with a weight about 8-10" above it ... and I slowly drag that along the depth of the first major drop of the bottom contour. I'll have two poles rigged that way, hold one in each hand, and ease along the normal spawning banks ... only out in the deeper water away from that bank, where the first major change in water depth occurs.

In my case, this just happened a couple of weekends ago. I was fishing Green River Lake, in South Central Ky, and the fish had backed off from the banks due to the drop in daily temps. Using my two pole method, I followed the same proceedure as those dragging minnows, and caught just as many as most of them were. The fish had moved out to the 14' depths, and were hanging just off the bottom.

Any number of baits & methods will catch Crappie ... but, none of them will catch ANY Crappie, unless you put the bait into their strike zone, and at the speed that matches their feeding mood.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of the Roadrunner baits. Lots of guys here like 'em though. I either don't know how to fish them as slow as they need to be fished, or the fish in the ponds I like don't like them. I have caught a bass or two on them, though- but I don't like to eat them as much as panfish.
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

It just takes learning a bunch of retrieves - as I make my own, and others ask about them I STRESS after painting that both ends of the swivel are clean and rolling well. If only one is then you lose half the action of the lure. One of the biggest things is if you have a high retreive reel. Say you're in the boat with a buddy and he's outcatching you. You have same rod, same line, same lure EXCEPT you have a 6.1 retrieve reel, and you're buddy has 4.1. If you retreive the same way you're bringing in line faster than he is, slow it down.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with fatman gotta fish em slow. Also if you're in a rut swap it up, try twitching you're rod tip or bouncing it off the bottom.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?txnhhs
    Eatin ain't cheatin
    Eatin Ain't Cheatin

Post Thanks / Like

Fished one this weekend. I like them because I can talk and not hear to watch a bobber. Like they said it is in the retrieve. To fast and they won't bite too slow. Then it doesn't spin and sinks. You just got to try till you find a sweet spot.

Post Thanks / Like

i went out today and only caught 1 crappie. it was on a chartreuse marabou roadrunner. i like to use the 1/4 oz for covering more water, trying to locate them.

Post Thanks / Like

Some days....They just want a minnow! I never leave home without em.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I have better luck with the roadrunners in the local lakes and minnows in the creeks/river tribs.

Post Thanks / Like

I do very well with Roadrunners. However you MUST break in the spinner if the swivel is painted over! I chuck them on a 1/4" drill and run it for a bit to make sure no paint got stuck inside. I also only use the marabou patterns; with a very slow roll along the bottom. A fine crappie lure.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast