Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How far???

Post Thanks / Like

Default How far???

I fish from a Heritage Redfish 12, rigged out with depth finder, rod holders, etc. I was just curious as to how for offshore do some of you other guys fish? My home lake is Guntersville in North Alabama so it's swamped with bass boats every weekend. Do any of you guys fish main lake structures like humps, creek channels, etc. from your kayaks? I know the only thing about being so far from shore is being seen, need to have a flag or something to be visible to boats. I've heard of some guys paddling a couple of miles from the launch. Just want to get some opinions...

Post Thanks / Like

Whistle is a good safety device to have. Flag is too, but I general try and avoid boat lanes. I have no issue paddling 2 hours out, fishing, then paddling 2 hours back to the launch.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's a long way!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I will paddle two-three miles one way, but we don't have that much open water on our lakes. They are mostly finger type lakes with maybe .5 - .75 mile as the widest parts. That said, a good tall flag would be all I needed if I wanted to venture out in large open water like Kerr in OK.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll paddle a mile in the creek to reach the main lake to fish the docks.
    I won't trespass to get to the water. In all, maybe 4 miles total per trip. Depends
    on the temperature/weather. I have hunkered down under my kayak to avoid
    heavy rain and small hail. Surprising how fast weather can change when your
    having fun catchin' fish down in a creek and the banks/trees are hiding the
    sky for any distance. Have ventured out to chase sandies a few times, but I
    have to be feelin' my wheaties on them days. The only electronics I use is my
    flashlight/cell phone/night lights. I too carry a flag the fits into my drain/scupper.
    Safe boating to ya.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks for the input guys

Post Thanks / Like

me and my buddy have gone up stream at least a mile or so in the kayaks.that river is easy to paddle,not real strong.theres a lot of skinny water and not a lot of motor boats goin around

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of trolling in my kayak, and I carry a portable GPS that tells me how fast I'm going and even keeps track of how many miles I've covered. On Sunday I went out fishing for about 4 and a half hours covered almost 7 miles. I've taken my kayak to the Outer Banks on vacation and put it in the ocean, but only went out about 200 yards or so, then fished parallel to the beach. Some people will paddle 2 to 3 miles offshore in their kayaks to fish some of the nearshore wrecks and artifical reefs... but I've never done that.