Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with line memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem with line memory.

Ihave been having a hard time getting rid of line memory. I have tried many lines like viscous, sufix, trilene and stren soo im assuming im doing something wrong. I start by laying the spool label up on the floor and run thru the first eye and start spooling using enough tension to keep the line straight. Ive tried soaking in warm water and it takes it out at that time but by the time i get out to fish its back! I use shimano, mitchell and daiwa reels. Does anyone know of a good video on youtube and or know what im doing wrong. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Get a pump spray bottle of Reel Magic and spray on your lines once you line up. I spray my reels on every trip before casting or let line out to spider rig. I prefer the bottle over the aerosal can, betterr control and less waste. I know BPS sells it, I think Monks and Grizzy Jig also carry it.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this. Put the spool on the floor with the label up. Run the line through all the guides, tie it on the reel and wind four or five rounds on. Now, keeping tension on the spool, lower the rod tip. The line should not kink between the spool and the rod tip. If it kinks, turn the spool over. This has always worked for me with Stren and Trilene XL. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Both replies good. If you are getting it on the reel correctly you might try this, it works for me: secure the jig/hook on your line to something sturdy, walk away about 40 feet and pull enough to put heavy tension on the line. Only need hold it for a few seconds and it will usually take the curls out. Wind back on with a tight line and go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Power pro can't hardly break it and absolutely no spool memory.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?w5tgui
    Eatin ain't cheatin
    Eatin Ain't Cheatin

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good suggestions, all ... but :

You might also consider this : what pound test line are you using ... and what size reels ?? Line "memory" is dictated by the spool size vs line test. Some of the other suggestions are good ways to avoid/correct line "tangles" ... but, memory problems are a whole different deal. When you put line on a small diameter reel spool, it can "set" in that size coil. Mono absorbs water, & relaxes a bit, when in use ... but, when it dries out & sits awhile, it can take on the coil size of the reel spool (memory).

Dead limp mono doesn't exist. IMHO Line conditioners (like Real Magic/KVD's ) can help, somewhat, but are more inclined to simply coat the line with silicone, making it slick & easier to cast farther. I don't really think there's any way to remove line memory from mono ... but, you can decrease it by using soft, light line on a wide or long reel spool. This won't remove the tendency of mono to set in the coil size of the spool ... but, the bigger the individual coils, the less it affects the situation.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I mostly fish with a bnm sam heaton 11ft flipping a 1/32 on a ice cork with 6lb test on a shimano solstace reel which is a light action reel. I use reel magic before every trip but I dont see much improvement. Im going to try some of these tips. Once again thanks alot!

Post Thanks / Like

Reel Magic spray, also tie your line to a tree and stretch it a little

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In your trials, strap on a bit bigger reel with a bigger spool and see if that doesn't change things some. Smaller spools leave a tighter coil in the line. I use 2000 series and have minimal problems with memory, mostly after extended storage.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Tried all of the above and found when all else fails, try this;

from your boat or kayak, remove everything from the line..... take off at a slow speed
    and play out line until the line spools off under tension from the water drag. Let it out
    all the way and let it drag through the water at a slow speed for a couple of minutes.
    Reel all the line back onto the spool while under tension. The water drag will straighten
    the line and remove the twists. Works for me.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast