Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Forecast is looking good folks...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forecast is looking good folks...

Hit the water today, did catch a good deal of bluegill and green sunfish, but nothing bigger than my hand. Not too surprised, given the 25 mph winds today. Tomorrow should be significantly better with winds lighter and temperatures pretty much in the mid 70's, plus a storm system coming through Thursday and a new moon phase cycle, spells great fishing (i hope) tomorrow. Early next week looks good too, with temps back in the 70's, close to 80 and no rain or storms to wreck it.

Bout time too, my cooler has been empty for awhile.

Hitting Offutt base lake and Walnut Creek tomorrow, Wehrspann next week.

I don't know about all you other Nebraska anglers, but white has been the go to color so far for like the past month. No matter what the weather conditions are. Cloudy, best color is white. Sunny, best color is white. Dusk and dawn, white. They will hit other colors, like yellow on cloudy days. Black or red on sunny days. Chartuese and orange during the dawn and dusk moments. But they don't compare to the all round color of white.

Post Thanks / Like

3 beers in me and i think i am ready to vent.

Today was just horrible fishing and a bad day in general.

1. I woke up way too late from my plan of 7am. I got up at 11am.
    2. I slept with my neck at an odd angle so i had a case of stiff neck.
    3. Upset stomach prevented me from staying at Walnut Creek as long as i wanted to.
    4. $3.50 on minnows was wasted
    5. Despite the half can on OFF i used to keep the bugs away, it didn't work

Last but certainly not least..

6. Hooked a bullfrog on its tongue, after i pulled the treble hook loose, he jumped out of my lap and headbutted me in the face.

Conditions: Calm winds to a very light breeze at Walnut Creek, water was VERY murky, couldn't really see any deeper than a few inches. Caught nothing out there. Offutt Base Lake, wind picked up a little bit, but couldn't really make up its mind where to blow from, first it was south/southeast, then west, then south, then east, then northeast, back to the southeast. It was just crazy. water was a bit more clear but no more than a foot deep. When the water was like glass, you could see the activity above the murky water, bluegills, sunfish, occasionally you would see a big dark shadow of a bass or carp swimming by, but as soon as a good breeze but some waves on the water, they disappeared. Same thing happened with the cloud/sun mix.

It was aggravating today because they seemed very skittish, and feed on the surface of the water. They reacted to the inline spinners, but not enough to bite, just chase them down. same thing went for the jigs. Bass and crappie didn't want to bite on the minnows. I hooked 10 small bluegills on a yellow 1/64oz jig and that was in the span of 2 hours.

Oh well, maybe this weekend, after the front, fishing will be better. Like i told my grandmother today "It can't get any worse than today."

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow will be better.
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't tomorrow cooler and with t-storms?
    Last edited by ChrisCarter; 04-18-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris did you see the article in the paper last week-end about Wanahoo lake. it looks very promising but I will wait until about the middle of June to fish it. It will be a zoo at first. Will definetly have to check it out for sure. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Chris I and my Wife helped cater a Wedding out at the base lake last week-end. IN THE STORM! What an experience that was. We got 3-1/2 inches of rain that night. The lake is looking pretty good tho. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

4" of rain was the official tally from Offutt AFB. 3.5" was in Papillion. Most lakes seemed to have gone up 1 or 2" since all that rain. Been a bit skittish to go back out with the cooler weather and the windy conditions. Might go today (Saturday) if i finish helping my grandmother do some yard work, otherwise I'll try and hit Walnut Creek recreation area Sunday afternoon.

Wanahoo is definitely a lake i want to hit this year. I'm thinking about hitting the lake in the fall time. With the summer, its going to be crazy out there, folks are going to take time off and head out there to check it out. Fall time, folks should be getting back to work, and maybe the traffic will calm down.

With May coming around in less than a week, im wondering if the crappie are close to spawning?