Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best crappie rod and reel for $200

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best crappie rod and reel for $200

Hey guys, I am new to the forum, and relatively new to crappie fishing.

I am looking for a new rod and reel to be mainly used for crappie and sunfish fishing. Where I most commonly fish, we will hook the occasional small channel catfish or mid size bass.

After extensive internal debate over a reel, I think I am going to go with the Shimano Spirex rear drag 1000 size, unless somebody really talks me out of it. I like the idea of the trigger release and the fighting drag. (I know it is not for everyone.)

I am looking for a rod to pair with this reel. My fishing will be 50% from boat, 40% from dock an 10% from paddle boat.

The guys at BPS were pushing me towards the Carbonlite. If I go this way, what size/stiffness would you recommend? Other suggestions, if I have around a $200 total budget for the rod and reel?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Go to B'n'M website get a idea of what you want and then order it form grizzly jigs or monk's crappie. They will save you a few bucks. I would need more info to make a recommendation.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

Driftmaster's Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

DerQ ... take a look thru this site : ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors and see if any of these rods suit you.

If you're set on a Spirex 1000 RD ... fine with me Thumbs Up (I have two outfits with the 2000 size, one w/FD & one w/RD, and I like the rear drag better) I would suggest a rod no shorter than 6' and no longer than 8' (depending on what will be the primary method of use) ... with a 6'6" - 7' Power Lite ESP being a good match for your Spirex. I will, however, warn you that ESP rods have microguides, and so they're not conducive to using slipfloat bobberstops. They are very light, with fast action tips, Tenn style handles.

I mostly cast for Crappie ... and my ESP 6'6" Powerlite/Shimano Aero 1000 is my primary casting outfit. I was a fieldtester for the ESP brand, and tested the 5'6" UL, 6'6" PowerLite, & 9' PowerJig rods. The UL is now my primary dock shooting rod, the PowerLite is my primary jig casting rod, and the PowerJig is my jigging & tightline rod. The UL & PowerLite replaced my previous primary outfits.

I've recommended this brand be considered, to quite a few members ... and I haven't seen/heard of any negative remarks made by anyone that purchased one.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, and glad to here that you like the spirex. It seems almost everyone who owns them loves them, and thmajority of the negative comments are from people who chose not to buy one. (anti-trigger or anti-dual handle, etc.)

Do you think the 1000 is a good size for the fishing I described above? (mostly jigging for crappie and sunfish, with occasional bass or small channel cat jumping on.)

Post Thanks / Like

Why I was asking for more info is because I have different rods for different types of crappie fishing. All of mine are B'n'M, I have a dock shooting rod, 2 jiggin rods, 10 spider rigging rods, 6 crank bait trollin rods and 3 casting rods. It really all depends on how your fishing.

Driftmaster's Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DerQ View Post
    Thanks for the info, and glad to here that you like the spirex. It seems almost everyone who owns them loves them, and thmajority of the negative comments are from people who chose not to buy one. (anti-trigger or anti-dual handle, etc.)

Do you think the 1000 is a good size for the fishing I described above? (mostly jigging for crappie and sunfish, with occasional bass or small channel cat jumping on.)
    Actually I'm a big fan of the paddle handle grips (hate the barrel shaped ones), double handle, and trigger release. I prefer using the RD Spirex, for the simple reason that I don't like having to put my hands/fingers on the front of the reel, to adjust the drag while fighting a fish. On reels that have a front drag, I'm more inclined to switch off the anti-reverse & use the "backwinding" technique to control the fish ... rather than depend on my drag setting.

I see no reason why the 1000 wouldn't serve you quite well, for the fishing techniques that you use. Get it on a rod that it balances well with, and I think you'll have a ball fishing with it Thumbs Up

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

B&M or Outlaw are my only crappie rods. But Grizzly Jig is the only place I get them from just ordered 3 new Crappie Wizard 12' yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Spirex 1000 the first year they came out , a looooonnnnggggg time ago .
    One of the best reels I've ever used dollar for dollar .

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the BPS Bionic Blade, 6ft, light action. Works great. The Spirex reel is a very good reel for $60. Right now Bass Pro has the Bionic Blade on sale for $59.99. The 1000 series is a perfect size for your purpose. Have fun. I have and use several Spirex 1000 rear drag reels.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get the Spirex, that leaves you $140-150 for the rod. Take a look at the St. Croix Premier or, for a few dollars more, an Avid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast