Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Ideas for Rod Holders Up Front on My Aluminum Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Ideas for Rod Holders Up Front on My Aluminum Boat

i do most of my fishing out of a 14' aluminum boat since i fish farm reservoirs or oxbow lakes off the rivers in my area. i'm wanting to fish 6 poles out front. i have a close friend who has a welding shop and can make me anything in aluminum, but i need ideas as to how this rig should look.

is there a rod holder on the market which will meet my needs, or would my best bet be to have my welder buddy just make me one? i envision a piece of aluminum approx. 30" long with 6 rod holders mounted. the 30" piece would be welded (in the center) to another piece which would be bolted to the front of the boat.

i appreciate your response.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i think six holders is a little much for one holder............jmo. best to get 2 separate holders, like driftmasters or such, with 4 on each side.

Post Thanks / Like

look for this thread Universal Jon Boat Rod Holder

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out HiTek....You can get them with three holders or four holder....Just mount two sets in the front of your boat.....loosen one bolt and you can remove them from their dove tail bases when you don't need them. Take a look.... click here www.hitekstuff.com
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Six holders in 30" is kind of tight (if you bring the two outside holders in just 2" that's only 5-1/4" between holders.

Is there a reason you can't bolt bases to a platform or seat part of the boat? If so, going rail to rail is probably the best bet, like the Universal holder mentioned above. If a 14" jon boat you've probably got a 40" to 42" width midway to the bow giving you 7-1/2" between the holders. If you can spring for an extra $15 to $20 per holder, I'd ask him to put on Tite-Lok holders instead of the ones in the picture. The C-clamps look like Tite-Loks, so he's already got an account with them.

I'm just having trouble imagining how a "T" frame attached to the front of the boat would be stable enough. A good rule of thumb is that it's got to be stable enough for you to fall against without breaking it. It happens.
    "I care not for a man's religion unless his dog and cat are the better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Driftmaster, HiTek, or Tite-Lok... I personally use the driftmasters. I have two sets in the front of my boat and two sets in the back. May cost you a little bit more than your buddy welding them for you but you won't regret the investment.

Blake