Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wax worms VS Meal worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wax worms VS Meal worms

Wax worms VS Meal worms

is one better than the other? what size do you try and get?
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I like wax worms best. No paticular reason except they seem to work better for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Mealworms here...haven't tried waxworms and I don't get to fish for big bream but once or maybe twice a year...Toledo Bend is 4 hrs away from me!

Not much on bream size around the Austin area.

Post Thanks / Like

Either/or - not much difference. I like either the "Mighty Mealies" or large size mealworms from Grubco. We tried the "Super Mealies" once and they're just too big. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say. Wax worms do catch alot of fish, but I use meal worms more often. They are more cost effective because I raise my own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slab-happy
    Hard to say. Wax worms do catch alot of fish, but I use meal worms more often. They are more cost effective because I raise my own.
    How do you raise them?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ

Do a google search there a bunch of sites that will give you all that you need. Most talk about mealworms for birds but they still give great info on the in and outs of raising them.

I just bought some of em from Gubco and will take a stab at raising them myself. Wish me luck.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

A wise old man at the camp ground gave me a start and told me that if I took care of them, I would never have to buy them again. He was/is 100% right. Had them for 8 years now. All you need is a start ( some meal worms), a bucket or container, and a bag of wheat brand. Put some of the wheat brand in the container with some meal worms. Occasionally give them some vegetable material ( a couple pieces of lettuce, potato ,etc..) but not much. that's it, they take care of themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep slap happy. I got a bucket of meal worms had it for years. I used ground corn. I also add the crumbs from unsweetened cereal and leftover flower or corn meal used for cooking. Throw in a vegetable every once in a while for moisture. These critters grow on the ground in grain spills so how hard can it be to raise em? Anyway its cheap bait costs me nothing but the time to hunt them out of the bucket. When they are mature I put them in the refrigerator to keep till I go fishing. This keeps them from entering the next stage which is a cacoon.