Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use these?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use these?

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes works great have several that I use on my jig poles and powerpro braid 2lb dia.10 lb test works they are good for the money!!!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

wish it was front drag tho.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's just me, but I much prefer front drag reels. For over 40 years, I've stripped down all my reels, cleaned & re-lubed them; and then put them back together again. Years ago, when I did have a couple of trigger, rear drag reels like this one, I found too many moving parts with the drag system. Too many opportunities for something to go wrong. And whenever I experienced a "sticky" drag, it was with one of these reels, very rarely with a front drag system. JMO Folks!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Good inexpensive reels, Muzzy. I have a couple of 1000Rs that I have been using for 6a long time. But, I also use the 2000R and like it better, larger spool, less line twist, I mainly cast, so line twist can be a problem with open face spinning reels. And I prefer the rear drag feature to the front drag adjustment. JMHO.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like

All Shimano reels even the lower grade ones are good reels - take care of them and they'll last a long time. I prefer rear drag but that's only me - and if you really want front drag in a comparable size reel from Shimano check out this one
    Shimano AX FB Spinning Reels, Shimano AX, Shimano AX Reels abut $7 dollars more. But you can look around for better prices on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive gotten to an interesting point in my life as far as reels go. I dont buy junk anymore. I buy something to LAST......this being said I am a huge Shimano fan. NOW....as far as crappie fishing, if it is a dock shooting reel or jigging reel, or something I am ACTIVELY using, I want a good quality, smooth, instant anti reverse, silk drag kind of reel.

Now on my long (trolling/tightline/night stalk) rods, I have Gander Mountain's Guide series reels. Around $25 a piece. For the money they can't be beat in terms of ruggedness and smooth, reliability. They wont last forever, but hey, they're only $25. Now moving on....Ive come to realize, most of the time, when using these long rods, except dead in the summer and winter, the reel is nothing more than an arbor to tie the line to, and I rarely ever "USE" the reel. That being said if a catfish or striper or God forbid a bass of substantial size hits it, Id just about as soon it get off one way or another as deal with fighting it. If I want catfish or stripers, Ill fish for em.

Now, back to the main point....I see no reason not to grab some of these reels. They have to be as good as the Guide Series reels I am using, and 90/100 fish I catch arent going to pull line off the reel anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I use em on my trolling rods with zero issues at all. I even have a 2000 I use in saltwater for guests.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own any now as they were stolen from my truck when I still lived in Florida, however they are great, light weight reels for the money, I only wish they had the double drag system in the rear like a spirex.
    Waterboy1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast